Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been having this problem about 2 months now and it's getting worse with the radio not shutting off. I put in a new yellow top in it and with the first start there isn't a problem it's after she sits after 5 minutes this happens. An ideas guys?:th_s52:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4bYtYIJMY

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^^^Ditto^^^

Did you post something fm your "private collection" we shouldn't be viewing. ;) :D

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have not looked at your video but will you clarify your post please.

Your subject says 'trying to crank' but the body of the messages ways your radio won't turn off.

What exactly is your concern (without linking to a video)?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The video is fixed now but this started off as the radio not shutting off any more lost my bluetooth, onstar and chime about 2 months go. Replaced the GMOS 3 times checked the door sensors and the truck harness to the radio and still can't get it to shut off after the RAP timer or oping the doors. I'm just getting over the truck and about to ditch it.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Do you have this issue if you completely disconnect the radio?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Short of swapping the BCM, I'm not sure where to start...?

You have an aftermarket radio -- how about remote start or alarm system?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The video sounds like a bad starter motor or the engine has no compression.
^^^This.

I was gonna say bad ignition switch after reading the description, but after watching the video, that starter doesn't sound right. If not the two things listed above, I'd look for missing teeth on the flywheel or starter.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Agree with the above few posts.
Spinning without compression.
Starter disengaging.
No teeth engagement from starter to flywheel.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Agree with the above few posts.
Spinning without compression.
Starter disengaging.
No teeth engagement from starter to flywheel.
Agree with these......

Pull a couple of plugs and check for compression would id that
Never having pulled one of these starters but rebuilt some in a past life, maybe a bad bendix (if they even still it that)
No teeth engagement....... pray for a bad starter ..... cheaper than a flywheel .... local parts store may be able to test it for you

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The worse part is getting to the starters on these things, really was about the most boneheaded design they could have come up with.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking the stater because you can hear it spinning but not hitting the flywheel. That blows ass and I still need to find out if the BCM is busted. Thanks guys but has anyone down a starter at 52K?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If the flywheel is missing a tooth, the starter will just spin around too. A similar sound will occur with a busted timing chain, but fortunately for you the motor does spin - right?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the flywheel is missing a tooth, the starter will just spin around too. A similar sound will occur with a busted timing chain, but fortunately for you the motor does spin - right?
First crank is always on point it's after she sits but the today she was fine all day.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I might suggest taking it to a shop so they can listen to it in person but I can only guess that it is the starter disengaging for no apparent reason.

Out of curiosity, how's the charge of the battery?

Is it at all possible to SEE the starter and access it. The old trick was to tap on the bendix to see if you can get it to engage. Perhaps the next time it quits, try to get under the truck with a long extension and tap it to see if you have more success.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just put in a fresh yellow top that day the video was made. I never thought I would do the hammer trick with a newer truck Lol.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Captain Obvious here;

I say the starter is your culprit. Seems like the flywheel chewed some teeth on the starter side. Just remove it and verify.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts