Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought HPtuners at my shop for a number of vehicles/reasons but i would like some help with tuning my truck. I've got a 2006 4WD I5 Auto with the volant intake, flowmaster muffler and the corvette shift servo. Being my personal truck i don't want to just jump in and start screwing with things. I want to firm my shifts a little more. I really really want to fix the constant back and forth shifting between 3rd and 3rd overdrive. I hate that. And i would really like to get some more power out of it. Turning of torque management and abuse mode, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
all of this stuff is plainly laid out on hptuners website in their forum and help docs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried searching their site a little bit and they didn't have a lot of help for the I5's. I have the basic idea and knowledge for the basics, but i just want to know which perameters to change and how much. For example, i already did a few things like increasing shift line pressure by about 5psi across the board except in the high RPM's. I tried advancing the timing by 0.5 degrees but i don't think thats enough to make much difference. I turned off torque management, changed my tire size and raised my speedo to 110. I will keep searching for more info, but if anyone has any advice for me, i would really appreciate it.
thanks

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I tried searching their site a little bit and they didn't have a lot of help for the I5's. I have the basic idea and knowledge for the basics, but i just want to know which perameters to change and how much. For example, i already did a few things like increasing shift line pressure by about 5psi across the board except in the high RPM's. I tried advancing the timing by 0.5 degrees but i don't think thats enough to make much difference. I turned off torque management, changed my tire size and raised my speedo to 110. I will keep searching for more info, but if anyone has any advice for me, i would really appreciate it.
thanks
the main difference between cololrados and the rest like the ls1 is that we have 5 VE tables. Someone on the hptuners forum made a configuration with this in mind and col/can based data logging parameters.

I have my timing advanced 6-8 degrees at some points (on 93 octane)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a partner at an automotive shop. We are just starting to get into performance/tuning and we started with HPtuners. One guy has a cobalt SS that we put the stage 2 power upgrade kit on and tuned. One guy has a GMT900 silverado lifted w/ gears we tuned. And I have the colorado. So we are practicing with these vehicles and plan to do more in the future.

I don't really want to run higher octane with grass prices out here in SoCal, so i guess i won't be seeing a lot of power gains. I just want to fine tune it, and get rid of the 3rd to 3rd o/d. I hate that! lol.
thanks for the help.
rhinoman98

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Drive ability still can be greatly improved, even with 87 octane. You have not even scratched the surface with spark advance @ .5 increase.

Like RCBS said, peruse the help files and how to's. Learn scanner first, even though everyones first move is right to editor. Editor is useless without scanner. An Editor only tuner is like tits on a bull. :)

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions or places you get stuck at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey.
thank you very much for the info. I went back yesterday and increased my spark advance another .5 so i'm up to 1 degree advance total. I'm kinda doing a little bit at a time to get a feel for how the changes are affecting the truck. I also upped shift pressures quite a bit. I like the firmer shifts. I was told to go into ETC TPS vs. torque reduction and change everything to 100. Thats about it. I haven't notice any huge differences, only minor ones. i'd like to get into more advanced tuning to really unleash the I5.
Thanks for all the input

1 - 8 of 8 Posts