Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
So I've never had a tune before and want to see what all the hype is about!
I have done the Cat delete, the Supersparkz coil spring delete, installed a K&N Cold Air Intake and I plan on getting one of Supermod's PTBs for my next upgrade to my 04 3.5l ZQ8 with nearly 120k miles. Is this enough to justify a tune?
What do I need to know about TM and Passlock before going into it, if I really need to know anything?
Are there any tuners on the forums in my area, or would AVT remote tune be my best option?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Hello all.
So I've never had a tune before and want to see what all the hype is about!
I have done the Cat delete, the Supersparkz coil spring delete, installed a K&N Cold Air Intake and I plan on getting one of Supermod's PTBs for my next upgrade to my 04 3.5l ZQ8 with nearly 120k miles. Is this enough to justify a tune?
What do I need to know about TM and Passlock before going into it, if I really need to know anything?
Are there any tuners on the forums in my area, or would AVT remote tune be my best option?
Gerry at AVT does a great job from what I've heard, I have yet to have him do mine but I plan on it soon. And yes that justifies it, I'm at 213,000 and still having it done..
And about passlock, just have him disable it. That way you never have to worry about it again.
Other than Gerry, Emaxxer does tunes as well, He's out of St. Louis I believe.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright I'll probably email Gerry and talk to him about it. What about torque management? The resounding opinion seems to be that it's useless, but I've read elsewhere that disabling it can reduce the lifespan of your transmission

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Alright I'll probably email Gerry and talk to him about it. What about torque management? The resounding opinion seems to be that it's useless, but I've read elsewhere that disabling it can reduce the lifespan of your transmission

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Have him turn that off too, it's like pulling a 2000lb trailer lol.
I haven't heard that about the trans, but I wouldn't be the one to say yay or nay there..
Georgiaboy, DigEm, and Ghost355 are guys I know that have had theirs done If you want to hear about it firsthand

·
Registered
376 Posts
You could also just mail your PCM to James when you send him your throttle body to be ported. That's what I did, I was only withouth the truck for a few days that way. My truck performs a hell of a lot better with no torque management.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only issue with mailing out the PCM vs doing a remote tune is that I don't want a semi generic tune. I'm sure that James knows what he's doing and I've read that many people on here have said great things about his tunes, but if I'm going through the trouble I'd like to get the best tune I can for my truck.
Is that a viable worry or am is it just a misconception on my part?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, this is my first tune, so I'm operating on limited information and assumptions at this point :lol:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would have to assume you'd achieve better results doing it remotely or in person. As to how much better I don't know. My main concerns were torque management and correcting for tire size. This was my first tune as well so I don't know much more than you do.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
There are a few places in Birmingham that will do tunes. I'll have to look them up later this afternoon. I can picture the building but I can't remember the name of the damn place. They tuned a turbo 3.5 that didn't blow up so they should be able to tune a N/A 3.5.

Sent from my iTurd!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts