Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 Canyon 4x4 with the 5.3 about a month ago. Already bored with the power. So, I installed a turbo under the truck where the muffler used to be. I had a local shop install a temporary tune in the truck until the liquid intercooler arrives. While I'm waiting on parts I was wondering if anyone has launched at the track in 4 wheel drive? Also a week after I bought the truck the transmission went out so, it has a new transmission with a few upgrades. I will set the boost to make around 450 rwhp. It made 338 rwhp on the temp tune. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hi Tim, :welcome2: nice of you to join us. how many mi were on the truck
when you bought it ? that trans sure gave up the ghost young. must of had
a hard life before you got it. tell us a little about your truck, mod's ? pic's if any.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The truck had about 88k miles when the transmission gave up. I was just cruising down the road and never even got on the gas that hard. No mods other than the turbo, e-fan and transmission rebuild. The truck is from Texas and was wrecked on the passenger side. It's a black 4 door 4x4.

·
Steel Rivers Chapter
12,577 Posts
I bought a 2010 Canyon 4x4 with the 5.3 about a month ago. Already bored with the power. So, I installed a turbo under the truck where the muffler used to be. I had a local shop install a temporary tune in the truck until the liquid intercooler arrives. While I'm waiting on parts I was wondering if anyone has launched at the track in 4 wheel drive? Also a week after I bought the truck the transmission went out so, it has a new transmission with a few upgrades. I will set the boost to make around 450 rwhp. It made 338 rwhp on the temp tune. Thanks for your help.
pretty sure you're not supposed to go above, oh say, 35mph in 4wd? or run it on dry pavement.

do it and you might be replacing more then a tranny...

·
tinja nurtles
11,837 Posts
Blk2006 is the only tube 4x4 I know. It's a 5 banger though. But still he has shattered the front cv at the track uncorking it

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Blk2006 is the only tube 4x4 I know. It's a 5 banger though. But still he has shattered the front cv at the track uncorking it

yep, but the they're cheaper than the front diff or transfer. Cheaper to buy a used front drive shaft $75 on ebay all day. Im also a 5 speed, so my drive line isn't loaded when I launch. They hold up for one pass. Biggest thing is the flex in the entire driveline, it pulls the cv apart, then slams back in when I shift and knocks the back out of it. Good for 1 launch. Ive filled the mounts recently and havent been to the track since, so it may make it now, or ill shell something else.

Plus you are a v8, youll be in the tq band when you launch so you may find cooler things to break than a little cv joint in the front drive shaft. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
No speed limitation on 4wd that I'm aware of. There is one for shifting in out of 4WD I believe.

I've done up to 70 in 4WD in icy conditions. Have done 50-60 for up to 1.5hrs in ice/snow. Not the same as dry pavement, but proves you can run at high speeds for extended periods.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I wouldn't advise launching it in 4wd. There is an aftermarket front driveshaft with a double cardan joint rather than a cv which will prevent any problems there, but I can't guarantee the front differential housing won't flex and/or crack.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I know a guy that has had his 4×4 engaged to speeds over 140 MPH several times. Says it is a dog turd but that it never gave him trouble.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I wouldn't advise launching it in 4wd. There is an aftermarket front driveshaft with a double cardan joint rather than a cv which will prevent any problems there, but I can't guarantee the front differential housing won't flex and/or crack.
I would stay away from that drive shaft as a replacement unless you are planning on off roading. It's WAY over kill for racing, and designed more for off roading. I've been pondering solid mounting all of it, but for now filling the mounts with urethane and getting a mount on the rear of the front diff seems like a better idea. No one has tired it, so there's no need to upgrade the front drive shaft until the flex in the drive line has been fixed, and verifies it's due for an upgrade. CV joints are really stout until you take them out of operating lengths.

and i have yet to have any issues with 4hi at speeds excess of 35mph. The drive line was designed with the idea of a factory warranty and to survive the life of a purchased extended warranty.

·
Registered
423 Posts
There has been several times where I've accidentally bumped the 4 hi button. Never noticed until I turn intoa parking spot. My 4x4 is still fine.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Seems like 4wd isn't necessary if the road conditions allow traveling at 70mph.

It's a matter of opinion. There are instances where it applies that may be particular to where I live. Not often, but a few times.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I would stay away from that drive shaft as a replacement unless you are planning on off roading. It's WAY over kill for racing, and designed more for off roading. I've been pondering solid mounting all of it, but for now filling the mounts with urethane and getting a mount on the rear of the front diff seems like a better idea. No one has tired it, so there's no need to upgrade the front drive shaft until the flex in the drive line has been fixed, and verifies it's due for an upgrade. CV joints are really stout until you take them out of operating lengths.

and i have yet to have any issues with 4hi at speeds excess of 35mph. The drive line was designed with the idea of a factory warranty and to survive the life of a purchased extended warranty.
The differential is mounted on rubber bushings of course it's going to flex, that's why they used a cv. When the transmission loads and then front diff load it puts it at too severe an angle and then it eats itself up. The double cardan will be able to handle the angle and survive much more abuse.

Urethane is still going to flex and solid mounting will probably lead to the diff housing flexing and chewing up the gears. Flex is fine, it has decent halfshafts and it's better to flex the mounting brackets rather than the aluminum housing soaking it all up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the info. I was just wondering because I launch my Eco Boost F150 4x4 crew cab in 4 wheel auto at the track. No problems. It cuts 1.7 60' and runs 13.6 in the 1/4. I was hoping the Canyon was just as tough.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts