Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of goin turbo in the future for my little fourbanger...just wondering if anyone on here has done this...i kno it has to be custom so i was just wondering if anyone has done this could u give me the parts list and total price im expcting high numbers so i am prepared lol but anyways

or would just swappin to v8 and charging that be better (turbo or super or pro)

anyways like i said this is a much l8tr future mod but i just wanted to go on and get knowledge on it

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
im thinking of goin turbo in the future for my little fourbanger...just wondering if anyone on here has done this...i kno it has to be custom so i was just wondering if anyone has done this could u give me the parts list and total price im expcting high numbers so i am prepared lol but anyways

or would just swappin to v8 and charging that be better (turbo or super or pro)

anyways like i said this is a much l8tr future mod but i just wanted to go on and get knowledge on it
gat a turbo, and go from there. idk if anyone has done this before, but i think you're looking at a more or less "one off" job for this idea. if you have the resources, i'd go for it.

i've heard that an LSx swap is a bitch, but hey, it's not supposed to be easy.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah so i hear...but i think since i got 4cyl i would want turbo...i think it would be better for me...plus i like the way it sounds lol...ahhh now thats on to-do list for the build...but the last one for sure...course if i bag it turbo idea is no more

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i read somewhere that the turbo for the GNX fits perfecty cuz the pipes are so close in size... limited to 8 psi boost though

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
i read somewhere that the turbo for the GNX fits perfecty cuz the pipes are so close in size... limited to 8 psi boost though
hey, if you've found a way, then do it. i want to see/hear it when you're done though. 8psi isn't too bad for a stock system. run anymore and you could damage your engine. i'd probably go for like 6psi or so.

Z

·
0 Posts
wasnt that sport truck turbo colorado making crazy power on only like 8-9psi??

I say go turbo, i was even thinking of it myself. But building a remote system instead so i could easily remove it for smog.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
If you can weld, then you could probably build a turbo system pretty easily. If not that may be a rather large project. I'd suggest a V8 instead just for the simple fact that after you're done with the turbo, you're probably going to max out the engine around 8-10 psi and not be able to add more power after that without custom internals for the engine.

With a V8 you'll have more power and A LOT more potential for future power if that time ever comes. Plus you'll have more low end torque to get that crew cab moving.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can weld, then you could probably build a turbo system pretty easily. If not that may be a rather large project. I'd suggest a V8 instead just for the simple fact that after you're done with the turbo, you're probably going to max out the engine around 8-10 psi and not be able to add more power after that without custom internals for the engine.

With a V8 you'll have more power and A LOT more potential for future power if that time ever comes. Plus you'll have more low end torque to get that crew cab moving.

good point ill have to think this through either way i aint doin it for a while lol

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
yeah v8 has alot more power stock and crazy room for potential hence why I want an LS1

Z

·
0 Posts

but at 8-10psi you're making very decent power.

I'm actually gonna talk to an exhaust shop about making me a 2 piece removable exhaust system. So down the road i can fiddle with the remote turbo idea. :high5:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just how much extra power will i get form the turbo i got the 4cyl so im only 200hp on the engine...just curious this wouldnt be very expensive for me really cuz i have alot of guys around here that could help ill prob also dry shot it l8tr

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah this look pretty cool i might have to check into this one

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
the sts kit is the one im getting. Its a really good kit. My buddy has one on his mustang. The thing about our engines is that they cant handle much boost. They just arnt built for lots of power. The most i would do is 5 to 6lbs of boost. Thats being safe and still maintaining drivability. Ive been looking into this for quite some time. Good luck on whatever you do.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i would say do a v8 swap and then turbo charge that if you want to.. but the way i see it is in the end your still a 4cyl. the v8 sounds a lot better imo, and can handle a lot more power, can your engine even handle 8-10 psi? i have heard that they can take 5-6 but cant back that up with any facts.

Z

·
0 Posts
the sts kit is the one im getting. Its a really good kit. My buddy has one on his mustang. The thing about our engines is that they cant handle much boost. They just arnt built for lots of power. The most i would do is 5 to 6lbs of boost. Thats being safe and still maintaining drivability. Ive been looking into this for quite some time. Good luck on whatever you do.
then i guess we should stay with N20, as they can handle a boat load of it. lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts