Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what might a good turbo size be for our engine? only look to run about 7-8psi.... would like to hit boost at about 2200.

·
Registered
845 Posts
what might a good turbo size be for our engine? only look to run about 7-8psi.... would like to hit boost at about 2200.
I dont think you'll find something that will begin boosting @ 2200 rpms. I would say a 60mm w/ a 38mm wastegate boosting 5-6psi. You're looking at boost starting probably 3000rpms +. Also depends what you have already. Whats your trucks specs?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont think you'll find something that will begin boosting @ 2200 rpms. I would say a 60mm w/ a 38mm wastegate boosting 5-6psi.
when would u think possible? if prefer to run 7-8psi too...but im just pondering possibilities

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
learn how to read compressor maps and compare them with the flow of the engine. you'll find what you need really quick.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have a problem with hitting boost higher up like 3000rpms.... compressor maps and flow of the engine? does anyone have the flow stuff of the engine

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
845 Posts
what the hell? lol..... i have 3.5 I5 with the 5 speed transmission and 3.42 rear end
I was laughing at the fact you mention the 3000rpms at the same time i was editing my post mentioning the samething.....

....anyways if you change your rear end from 3.42 gears to 4.10 gears. It will improve you bottom end, giving you quicker acceleration thus improving engine speed at low rpms, boosting quicker as well.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was laughing at the fact you mention the 3000rpms at the same time i was editing my post mentioning the samething.....

....anyways if you change your rear end from 3.42 gears to 4.10 gears. It will improve you bottom end, giving you quicker acceleration thus improving engine speed at low rpms, boosting quicker as well.
im just mostly worried about cruising speed.. didnt want it to be boosting while i was cruising i dont want to change my rear end either...accept maybe for a locker

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Finally an educated turbo thread not just "Throw the biggest one on there and bleed the boost to the wastegate"

I would talk to a custom turbo shop or company. Not sure on engine characteristics man. That would all have to be datalogged.

·
Registered
845 Posts
does anyone actually have any info on how our engine flows that i could relate it to compressor maps?... i dont think it will do much to help me but id still like to look into that stuff

this looks like it will be helpful in learning to read compressor map....

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html
Thats some useful info. Save it as a fav. it will come in handy when the turbo build is starting to come together.

Finally an educated turbo thread not just "Throw the biggest one on there and bleed the boost to the wastegate"

I would talk to a custom turbo shop or company. Not sure on engine characteristics man. That would all have to be datalogged.
ditto

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is there any way to get the boost to start earlier? of course not including 4.10s and such (which will get me to 3000 earlier)... i mean besides going to a smaller turbo...

like different trims on the turbo.. obviously ball bearings...lighter impellar etc any other ideas... id like to possible get it to get into boost about 2500 RPMs if possible...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
if you use a turbo with your goal in mind I'm sure it will start making boost pretty early. I'll be back with some flow data.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts