Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
There are a few members who have boosted their trucks. Pick through build threads or perhaps one of them will chime in.

·
all your base
9,599 Posts
No kits are available. You'll have to fab one yourself.. theres tons of info here.. read up and good luck. almost everyone that has turbo'd their I4/5 has blown it up, including myself

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
No kits are available. You'll have to fab one yourself.. theres tons of info here.. read up and good luck. almost everyone that has turbo'd their I4/5 has blown it up, including myself
Was that only 'cause you couldn't resist boosting it to the max and then beating it to death?
That is to say (ask), how well would the I-5 survive a moderate boost?

·
all your base
9,599 Posts
Mine blew up because of my ignorance in the tuning part. I was doing things I had no business doing lol.. It probably would have blown up even if it was tuned right... some of the other guys were tuned correctly and blew up anyways.. acex, luv2drag, boosted5, 05_quick4door (i think blew up too) to name a few, these engines just don't take it well unless you build them.. take a look at acex's build http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects-build/46371-introductions-sorts-forged-turboed-3-5l.html

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
There were a lot of other variables that led to detonated motors though, generalizing and saying that you will blow it up is not right if the set-up is thought out well enough. Or if you're motor is already tired and worn out before you put boost to it, it will go bang. I've been running 7psi centrifugal supercharger for almost a year now and my motor runs just fine, starts first key turn, and burns no oil.

If you push the boost and timing too far, yes you will have a bad motor in no time. If you stay under 10psi make sure you have plenty of fuel and keep the timing mild, it will last just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts