Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Quick question regarding proper lubrication points for the carrier bearing and u-joints.

I plan on cleaning with very fine steel wool for u joint clamps and insertion points, as well as for the tranny slip joint and yoke that inserts to carrier bearing.

If I understand correctly ill need to grease the spline on where the front portion of shaft and yoke come together. I have Lucas Red N Tacky for this. I put a few pics of what I am referring to.

Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks
Automotive tire Wood Tool Audio equipment Gas

Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Looks like you've got it covered. Now is a good time to replace the tail shaft seal on the transmission. Also put grease on the splines of the transmission or in the yoke that slides over the tail shaft of the transmission. Put it together and drive it like you stole it!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you've got it covered. Now is a good time to replace the tail shaft seal on the transmission. Also put grease on the splines of the transmission or in the yoke that slides over the tail shaft of the transmission. Put it together and drive it like you stole it!!
I imagine replacing the seal is a simple pull and replace? anything special there?

Any grease needed for the slip shaft that goes into the tranny?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Random Question. Spicer u-joints good? I hear not great things about anchor for the carrier bearing, some say OEM only for that. Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks all

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'd make sure I got U-joints with grease fittings, and put grease in them occasionally. I'm not familiar with specific brands and what's good and what's not. My '04 Colorado with 265,000 miles has had the U-Joints replaced once, so it's not something that's replaced frequently. I already recommended greasing the output shaft on the transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts