Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new Pioneer 200BT Touchscreen radio last week, installed it in a little over an hour. To give you a little insight on the install and myself, I am an electronics engineer, so of course, I soldered every connection and used heat shrink. I've installed many radios in my truck and others vehicles.

Starting today, after a week that the radio has worked, I was driving through town, maybe 25mph and I swear I hear one of my speakers cut out. I kind of shrug it off, and at about that time, all the speakers make a lot of crackling noise and all the speakers go dead except for my subwoofers. Every time I hit a bump the speakers would make a crackling noise. So I'm thinking a loose connection maybe. So here is what I've done so far. I took all the door panels off and checked the speaker connections (They're all good, soldered on) I checked all my solder joints at the radio harness (They're all good) I checked the connection at my wiring harness adapter (its perfectly fine.)

So now I'm scratching my head. As I start my truck up and pull out of the driveway, I hit a bump and all four speakers just came back, and have worked flawlessly since.

They may be working now, but, I'm wondering if there is a separate set of connectors or something between the radio and the speakers or something. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I appreciate any replies. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Agreed. I had problems with my Pioneer also. It just stopped working after about a few weeks use. I had to get it warranted several times until I recieved one that worked.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. I had problems with my Pioneer also. It just stopped working after about a few weeks use. I had to get it warranted several times until I recieved one that worked.
Okay thanks! I forgot to mention that the radio i had in my truck before this one was a brand new Pioneer and it did this exact same thing and all of a sudden started working again

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Sounds like a H.U. problem to me...If all the connections are correct... ??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a H.U. problem to me...If all the connections are correct... ??
Double checked that. I installed a wiring harness adapter instead of just cutting off the factory plug on the harness. Found out today that If I lightly hit m drivers side door, all the speakers come back. Okay.... So this is weird

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
What harness adapter are you running? The only brand that seems to be working decent is Metra. All the other brnads have issues with the BCM in our truck

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Grounding issue perhaps....Do bad speaker grounds cause a stereo to quit working though? Probably depends on the HU.

My Kenwood goes into protect mode when you have a ground problem. I bumped a wire against the door (or something weird like that) during installation and the HU needed to be rest (by me).

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Question why would hitting the door cause all the speaker to start and stop working? All you have in the door is the speaker wires for that speaker. If should not effect the rest of the speakers, maybe I'm wrong. My problem drove me crazy. I even was routed to a level 3 tech and everything he had me try i had done already. He finally said he didn't know what was wrong so they sent me a new one. Pioneer sent me a total of 3 unites before it got fixed. The first 2 had the serial number close so must have been manufactured in the same lot. The third one they sent was a different model as the previous 2 model was no longer in stock. I started off with and interface module, then without one. The last one I didn't use any factory wires but ran all my own wires from the battery except the 12v ign wire which I used the onstar fuse spot since I don't have onstar. The last one has worked for over a year now perfectly. I said all this to say even my friend who owns a audio store an is a authorized Pioneer dealer couldn't solve the problem either. All this to say maybe it is a bad HU. Mine would cut out when I hit a bump in the road, but never banging on the door.

In the end I'm saying maybe you got a bad HU.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Question why would hitting the door cause all the speaker to start and stop working? All you have in the door is the speaker wires for that speaker. If should not effect the rest of the speakers, maybe I'm wrong. My problem drove me crazy. I even was routed to a level 3 tech and everything he had me try i had done already. He finally said he didn't know what was wrong so they sent me a new one. Pioneer sent me a total of 3 unites before it got fixed. The first 2 had the serial number close so must have been manufactured in the same lot. The third one they sent was a different model as the previous 2 model was no longer in stock. I started off with and interface module, then without one. The last one I didn't use any factory wires but ran all my own wires from the battery except the 12v ign wire which I used the onstar fuse spot since I don't have onstar. The last one has worked for over a year now perfectly. I said all this to say even my friend who owns a audio store an is a authorized Pioneer dealer couldn't solve the problem either. All this to say maybe it is a bad HU. Mine would cut out when I hit a bump in the road, but never banging on the door.

In the end I'm saying maybe you got a bad HU.
It sounds like your solution could have been all new wires.

You have all new wiring and a new HU right?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The only thing I can think regarding bumping the door is the harness at the door. The one that plugs into the door. Our wires don't pass through the door like a traditional speaker wire. Wiring is in the door, but there are two end terminated by plugs on each side.

Or the speaker wire is grounding against the door panel - or a wire at the terminal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay so problem solved! Went ahead and removed the driver Side door panel again along with the speaker. Looking close I noticed a metal tab sticking out that lined up perfectly with one of the terminals of the speaker and when I reinstalled it, the speaker would cut out. So I just bent the tab out of the way and put liquid black tape on as a precaution. It's always the little things I guess lol. Here's a pic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Hey glad you found the problem and got it fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts