Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been searching and searching and searching the forum for battery recommendations and there doesn't seem to be much up-to-date info on what's good these days for these trucks. I have an 06 3.5L std cab and have no idea what's optimal for it. The previous owner had the wrong size and from my research it looks like stock was much larger cca than what's in it.

Upon searching the forums, folks are talking about red top, gold top and blue top even.. several years ago they were affordable.. today they are $300! So what are some good battery replaments these days? Has anything changed? Why have they suddenly gotten so freaking expensive?

Would love to know what's out there now and what is a good size for cold cranking amps and what's too much? I live in indiana and it can get cold in the winter.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
I run this battery: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...9-P?searchTerm=Diehard+Silver+Brand+Batteries

It has a two year replacement and it usually lasts between 3.5 and 4 years in my truck. It is basically the same size as the stock battery, and will fit in the stock battery cover. If, like me, you run the battery without the cover, you will need a thin plastic or rubber mat to put on the tray to keep it tightly in place. The battery mount on the battery is too thin to hold the battery tight by itself. Plus, I never like running a battery sitting directly on the metal. This battery has 800 CCA. Plenty to power anything you might run.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That looks like it might do the job actually! I was looking at a duracell that was the same price but only had 690cca haha! I think this will do perfect! Gives me a little headroom for cold winters ahead.

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you take the battery tray out, you can run a group 65. Fits perfect without the box, and you can use the stock tie down bolt. I get mine from Rural King for like $75. Also, you get more cold cranking amps
oh damn really!? Do you know which one? I have bought my car batteries from Rual King before I looked and couldn't find one for the truck. That would be the kitties titties honestly

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mine was a group 65 too. The mechanic telling me it will not fit. I told him leave the box off and it will fit.
At Rural King just shop by battery group

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running the Odyssey ODP-AGM75 86 battery in my 06 3.5 Crew Cab. At near 300 dollars, it's not cheap, but being a high density (it weighs 43 pounds), AGM battery, it's going to last a very long, long time, much longer than the cheaper lead acid battery's. It fits perfectly in the battery tray and I use the battery top cover with no problems.

As far as battery life goes, I have an Opel GT that I put an Orbital agm battery in her. She did more sitting than running and at that, I got 10 years out of that battery before it faded.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet Colorado/ 2018 GMC Canyon
1,171 Posts
oh damn really!? Do you know which one? I have bought my car batteries from Rual King before I looked and couldn't find one for the truck. That would be the kitties titties honestly
Any group 65. You have a couple options, but the cheapest is still more cranking amps than the stock battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
the main thing with any battery is keep it CHARGED!! be aware of new activated batteries setting on the shelf slowly fading away. lots of junk on todays vehicles so unless you drive a lot put a good charger on it monthly!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts