Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be flipping my upper BJ's this week and wanted to know if there's a way for me to pop out and reverse the studs without taking the bj off the spindle knuckle. And I'm still on the fence about installing the suspension maxx spacer. I've read too many mixed reviews to make up my mind. Any final thoughts on bj flip with or without spacer? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I do not believe there is room to work on the ball joint to remove and reinstall the studs. Removing the ball joint is actually quite easy though. It's installing the studs in reverse direction that is the challenge. You should have a vice or something to allow you to press the studs back in. Don't forget to pay attention to what you are doing so you do not reinstall them in the same direction as factory. ;)

Flip in addition to spacer, or not.....first question to you is what are you trying to achieve by flipping and/or adding a spacer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to take away my ball joint bind from my 3" tbar crank. And get some more down travel. I wanted to get tubular UCAs with a uniball but I read that I would have to drill out the taper on the spindle knuckle which I just don't want to do

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Okay cool. Just checking to see if you had any misconceptions.

What is your hub/fender measurement?
I have the spacer on mine, but I have clearance issues. Generally speaking, the flip alone should be adequate.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
WP_20150103_15_25_53_Pro.jpg WP_20150103_13_29_42_Pro.jpg
You can do it without taking the ball joints off the knuckle. Attached are some pictures. Use a socket bigger than the pressed insert, a nut on the stud, and a c-clamp.

Repress in the studs with an impact at a very low setting. Don't over-tighten them, they break quite easily (from experience)

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
At 24" you won't need a spacer. I am 24" and have a spacer...but I have the SuspensionMaxx kit that includes bump stops. My UCA nearly rested on the bump stop, the spacer removed that interference.

Also I have the Z85 suspension.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts