Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering an upper BJ flip ( I have a heavy TB crank). Whats the story with a spacer? Does suspension maxx sell one? Do I want or need it?

Confuzzled here :ugh:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Smaxx has them, i would recomend picking up a set since i installed mine ive got better tire wear than before when i didn't have'em, if your 4wd look into the diff drop too, saved my cv boots

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Yes, SuspensionMaxx sells them. They are pretty cheap.

Do you understand the purpose of the flip and/or spacer?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I understand the purpose of the flip. I have my bars cranked pretty hard and the BJ angle is pretty radical. Something about it just seemed a little sketchy, maybe its just me...

I did do a diff drop, I put in the 3/4" spacer. Still busted 2 cv boots. Gonna replace the latest blow out and put in the additional spacer and new bolts that came with the suspension max stage 2 kit.

Anyone know the price on the BJ spacer?

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
If you actually understood what it is, then you would know you need it with a heavy crank for alignment/binding proposes (granted, you shouldn't be beyond 24-24.5 hub to fender anyways) #inb4kmac :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"If you actually understood what it is, then you would know you need it with a heavy crank for alignment/binding proposes (granted, you shouldn't be beyond 24-24.5 hub to fender anyways)"

Thanks Guy... :roll:

From what I have read flipping without a spacer can help alleviate the bind, just looking for opinions before I purchase anything.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Call SuspensionMaxx on Tuesday. They can tell you the cost, and get them out that day so you have them before the end of the week (most likely).

They are pretty cheap.

Yes, the spacers help with ball joint binding. But not at all with anything else you mentioned about CV's differentials, etc.

I too am about 24" from hub to fender lip. I have the spacers. At fist I just flipped. But later did the spacers.

You should be able to get the front end alignment done by Monday if you call in the morning. He's in your time zone too so you shouldn't have any problem getting them out in Tuesday's mail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info

yes I'm aware the BJ flip has nothing to do with the CV's, to help with the CV's I dropped the diff 3/4", im still having problems with boots so I'm going to drop it some more this weekend. (I have the second spacer-for diff- from Larry with the longer bolts.)

I was just curious about doing a BJ flip while I'm working on it to help with BJ bind.

Got a pick of your uppers flipped with the spacer?

If I flip i'll most likely install the BJ spacer and a new BJ on each side. Bolts that come with the new BJ's long enough to catch with a spacer?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I snapped a few shots now but they didn't turn out too well. It's dark in the garage and the flash washes out the detail.

If you don't get others later, I'll post mine. I won't be able to post until around noon here in the west.

What do you need to see a pic for?
Yes, here are a few exposed threads out of the nut with the spacer installed.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
I have came into spec on alignment all the way to having my ucas sitting on the bumpstop brackets. I would just flip them I really don't see the need for spacers. Just doing the flip you are moving the bj down the whole thickness of the arm and ball joint plate, the more you space it the more off your suspension will get through travel. Basically if your running enough crank to warrant flipping and spacers you will prolly have other issues, I pulled my spacers off and brought mine down about an inch when I first seen my uca cracked

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
It's held on with studs, they have to be pressed or tapped out and pressed or tapped back in through the bottom

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have came into spec on alignment all the way to having my ucas sitting on the bumpstop brackets. I would just flip them I really don't see the need for spacers. Just doing the flip you are moving the bj down the whole thickness of the arm and ball joint plate, the more you space it the more off your suspension will get through travel. Basically if your running enough crank to warrant flipping and spacers you will prolly have other issues, I pulled my spacers off and brought mine down about an inch when I first seen my uca cracked
Jack pot.

Also OP... be very carefull of not dropping the front diff more than 1"... 1" is just about the limit you can drop without causing damage to the front driveshaft.

Honestly, take it from me and others on here who have been down this road already, just uncrank the truck a little, you would be amazed how much something like 0.5" of uncranking can help alleviate many of the common problems you are having... and to gain back some lift you can do a hockey-puck 1" body lift for like $40 bucks.

Just my .02

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
undead, do you think the spacer had something to do with the UCA crack? or just that heavy crank? If not why did you remove the spacer? (was the spacer not needed once you lowered her back down the inch?)

I have had the bars cranked hard for about 2 years now with relatively few issues other than a few cv boots (3, all on the driver side). I do suspect I will lower it down a bit (prob .5") when I do the BJ flip. I just want to get everything figured out before I start screwing around to save some $$ on multiple alignments.

As far as dropping the diff to much-
I am currently running a suspension max stage 1 drop (3/4")
All I plan to do is install the stage 2 kit (second spacer and longer bolts) not sure what the final drop is, 1" or maybe 1 1/4"

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
I could align it without it. The uca crack I'm sure was from a heavy crank, but I honestly don't see the point in throwing the suspension off even more just to get 1/4" more droop. You are already changing it what almost 3/8" or so with just the flip. So spacers will push that over 1/2". I would sooner notch my bumpstop bracket as long as it still limited before the tie rods or cvs reached their limit.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I've had the spacers in place for well over a year.
I have my Z85 lifted 1.5" in the rear, level up front. The UCA Bump stop provided by SuspensionMaxx had minimal clearance to the UCA. And it seems it had bumped a few times. After the spacers, I was able to leave the same height and gain a little more clearance to UCA the bump stop.

The hub/fender measurement is just shy of 24". I would align fine with no spacers. The spacer just gave me the little extra clearance to the bump stop. The spacer was not useful for anything else. My ball joint angle was fine before the spacer too.

That's just my experience.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts