Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about purchasing a used Colorado/canyon ext cab 4x4 if I could find one with lower mileage for a decent price. Don't know a lot about these trucks, just looking to get a few opinions. Seems like the v-8 option is hard to find around here and the ones that I have found are priced high. Are the 4 cylinder and 5 cylinder options reliable to run for high mileage like the silverados? How about gas mileage for the 4 and 5 cylinders? Can you fit a four wheeler in the back of an extended cab? Also, what about rear facing and front facing car seats in the back seat of an extended cab? I know a crew cab would be better for kids, I am just wondering if anybody has done this or if its even legal/possible?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I fit my 400ex in the back of my extended cab and I can shut the tailgate with a couple inches to spare.

The 5 cylinders issues were resolved in the newer ones and are a good motor, but the v8 is certainly better on power, reliability, aftermarket support. When my truck was stock 07' 3.7L z71 extended cab, I could pull 22-24mpg highway and 17mpg around the city easy. I'd assume the 2wd could get a few better because they have some weight shed off. It's not the most powerful engine, but it's adequate. A good tune makes it much more tolerable. As far as reliability they are steady with most GM trucks, you treat it right it will treat you right.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Getting the V8 was the only reason I got a colorado. Took a few months worth of searching to find the one I wanted. It cost me a little more, but I didnt have to pay shipping like on other V8 colorados I was looking at. The V8 Z71 is probably the easiest V8 to find. Just an assumption based on estimated production numbers people have posted.

Ext. Cab might be a squeeze to get a Rear facing car seat. Then again, front facing might be a squeeze depending on size. I have a Recaro Proformance Sport car seat in a crew cab. It is a large forward facing seat. Weighs over 20 lbs. The crew is the way to go there. Kids will fit back there for a long time.

hope you find the right one for you.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I got the 2800 Vortec and am very satisfied with it after 3 years of going all over the south and even up north a little !! If you do get the 4 banger..
I would go with the 5- Speed transmission... Good luck with your search !!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts