Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres my question; if i were to use the stock mp3 head unit with an aftermarket set up, would i get good sound? im only planing on using on 10" sub.

P

·
0 Posts
Just to give you a review, I have the stock MP3 unit and all ive done is upgraded the speakers, im dying to get rid of the headunit, you can hear how it cripples the speakers so bad. The sounds quality from these stockies is horrible. I would def get rid of the stock head unit. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
LOL, well just like anything else, you're gonna get some mixed reviews on this subject. Although you'll probably get more guys telling you to replace it than keep it.....

My opinion is if you don't want to spend a great deal on a system, just get some replacements along with your sub and amp them all. I have a single 12" sub, replacement door speakers (both Diamond Audio) and a 900W 4 channel amp pushing all of them along with the stock HU. All I can say is WOW! I absolutly LOVE the way it sounds. I insalled a bass knob as well so I can adjust the bass according to the music I'm listening to. Man, the highs freaking Scream and a single 12" is plenty in a Reg Cab. I don't plan on getting an A/M HU anytime soon either. Mainly because I don't want my truck to get broken into if someone saw that I had one. But I'm perfectly happy with my setup!

So basically if you get some highs and amp them too, then you'll get awesome sound quality out of the stock HU as has been my experience. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
if your going to be running the stock door speakers and a single 10" sub your fine to keep the stock HU. i had mine pretty much that way for a long time and it sounded pretty good imo. i just replaced the door speakers and now im dying to replace the HU cuz like the other guys said the sound quality goes way down.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK yeah im looking to keep every thing stock and just add a 10" and an amp. i dont listen to alot of rap mostley country and rock, so im not looking for earth shaking bass i just want a little mor than what i have!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
yeh. you should be set with running that. others my say diff. but as long as ur not really slamming bass i would think it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
yeh you have to get an adapter for it. ive got one on mine. (what the hell are called...i forget) but they arent too expensive and simple to install lol.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
OEM Interface Module. That's what I have. And I think like a small Crossover will do too. The guys sold me a Pyramid at first but then remembered that I couldn't use it with my setup so he exchanged it for the Interface....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
just splice in some RCA's into your rear speaker for the amp & sub...Its simple..will definatly work, But it might sound like garbage......
hahaha

and PAC for me stands for Plymouth Auto Club (my colleges car club) so i get totally confused everytime i see that...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HA HA i got the PAC oem-1 connector hooked up. Now all im lacking is the amp and sub to hook to it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts