Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 chevy colorado 2 door it had a 5cylinder automatic 4x4, i swapped out the original motor and trans for a 2003 chevy avalanche 5.3 and also used the avalanche 4l60e and i mated my original transfer case to it, so that way my driveshafts would work and would need custom ones made, my question is i know the colorados already have 4l60e transmissions in them with the 5 cylinder, i know the input shaft and torque converters are different, but what else is different?? I am having some difficulty with finding a transmission pan that will allow my front driveshaft to clear, it wouldnt clear my avalanche pan so i tried swapping the pan off of the original trans that came out of my truck that was mated to the 5 cylinder, but it isnt deep enough to clear the internals (valve body and such) not sure if anyone ran into this problem , any information would greatly be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would think the Avalance trans would be very simular to the colorado the differance betwenn the 4x4 and the 2wd trans is the depth of the pan and the depth of the trans. filter. Did you use the 2wd filter or the 4x4 filter. 2 wd filter sits deeper in the trans pan than 4x4. That could be your real issue.
Luck

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Let me know if you need dimensions on my factory 5.3 4x4 4l60e pan. The filter for the 4x4 pan on our trucks is a specific filter that works with our pan. Use the filter as well from your factory trans with your factory pan. I bet the avalanche filter is the wrong filter for the right pan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your posts, i looked into it a little more in depth today and found my problem is the accumulator, i removed it and installed filter , pan, front driveshaft, and it fit like a glove, apparently the avalanche 4l60e used a different accumulator than my original 5 cylinder trans, i didnt get a chance to remove the accumulator from original trans yet but plan to tomorrow! I assume if the accumulator swap out from one trans to the other it will be ok?? Im no transmission guy, im thinking the 5 cylinder trans even though its a 4l60e it has alot more differences than a 5.3 factory vehical, ill post updates tomorrow thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know if you need dimensions on my factory 5.3 4x4 4l60e pan. The filter for the 4x4 pan on our trucks is a specific filter that works with our pan. Use the filter as well from your factory trans with your factory pan. I bet the avalanche filter is the wrong filter for the right pan
if its not to much trouble could you get me a measurement on the depth of pan? Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts