Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
I’d stick to the stock temperature. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 👍🏻
That's kinda what I was thinking. I was wondering what effect a lower temp thermostat would have on heat and defrost. The OEM is actually a little more expensive, but not really enough to matter.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
The radiator I ordered from Summit Racing came in damaged.......after waiting for two weeks....
Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Rim Grille

Summit shipped a replacement, which showed up in about a week and was undamaged.
So, Operation Replace the Cooling System commenced.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

I have discovered the downside of having a V8 stuffed into a small truck......everything is a tight fit.
In addition to the radiator I decided to replace the belts, radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat and heater hose connections while I was in there. At 160,000 miles I figured it was time.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Automotive design

Since I am still fighting fatigue from long COVID it has been slow progress but yesterday I was able to get to the point that I could refill the radiator, top off the transmission fluid and test run the engine. No leaks and the engine temp looks good. Now all I have left to do is reinstall everything I had to remove to access the parts I replaced.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer

EUREKA!!!

My traction control button has not worked for years, ever since I lost the spring out of it when I had the dash apart one time. About 2-3 months ago I ordered a traction control switch from car-parts.com from an '04 model and much to my disgust discovered that the design had changed by the '10 model that I have (another issue was that I got one out of a 2wd model and I have a 4wd). After moaning, groaning, whining, complaining and doing nothing about it for 2 months, today I decided to see if there was any way I could make it work. Turns out that the design is not completely different and I was able to pull the spring out of the '04 assembly and use it in mine. Works perfectly! No more getting stuck in the mud because the computer decided to apply the brakes to all 4 wheels to keep them from spinning. :rolleyes:

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I just had the traction control tuned out of mine completely. The button is still there, but even when I spin nothing happens. Makes it quite nice that I do not have to mess with that button anymore.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I just had the traction control tuned out of mine completely. The button is still there, but even when I spin nothing happens. Makes it quite nice that I do not have to mess with that button anymore.
Traction Control/StabiliTrac has its place. A few years ago if it had not activated while I was driving on the interstate in Louisiana I would have ended up upside down in the ditch. Score one for StabiliTrac
I prefer to have the option of turning it off or on depending on conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Traction Control/StabiliTrac has its place. A few years ago if it had not activated while I was driving on the interstate in Louisiana I would have ended up upside down in the ditch. Score one for StabiliTrac
Yours works different than mine. All mine did was slow the rotation of the rear tires by reducing power no braking on the first gen and not really the stabilitrac system.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I deleted my Stabilitrak System. I have ZERO regrets. 😀

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
I deleted my Stabilitrak System. I have ZERO regrets. 😀
If I hadn't had that experience I mentioned earlier I might be willing to go that route.....but it was one of the scariest things I have ever experienced in a vehicle. I have no doubt that if it were not for StabiliTrac I would have rolled the truck in that situation....at interstate speeds. I don't mind taking a second to hit the button when needed....now that it works. :LOL: I will probably just make a habit of hitting the traction control button right after I hit the 4wd button...and have the best of both worlds.
Now my wife's Grand Cherokee with the Quadra Drive system on the other hand...no electronic stability or traction control needed. It just hooks up and goes. I am very impressed with it so far especially since that system is 100% mechanical...no electronics at all. Once I get the proper lift and tires on it I expect it to climb like a mountain goat.

Reactions: DigEm

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Yours works different than mine. All mine did was slow the rotation of the rear tires by reducing power no braking on the first gen and not really the stabilitrac system.
I should not say First Gen, but better early first gens, pre 2008, had a different traction control system.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Ok, about to get this build kick-started. We decided we wanted to get out into the wild sooner rather than later, so there has been a shift in priorities. I purchased 2 side mount tool boxes yesterday and ordered a rooftop tent and 270 degree awning yesterday. The rooftop tent we are picking up today and the awning is scheduled to arrive July 5th. Now I have to start modifying the ladder rack and get it installed on the truck with the tool boxes....let the fab work begin! :D I will post pics as I take them.
We are tentatively planning to run the Georgia Traverse the week of Thanksgiving.

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Just got back home with the rooftop tent, annex.....and a Smittybilt dual zone fridge/freezer that was on sale.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Looks like your trailer was made specifically to haul that tent box. 😆
Yep, didn't even have to strap it down. :LOL:
Getting it out would be fun if I didn't have a fork lift attachment for my tractor.....
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Progress! Removed the CB antenna from the tool box:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Removed the tool box:

Removed the plastic bed liner (I will be spraying on Raptor Liner):
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Hit it with a pressure washer:

And then did a quick test fit of the tool boxes:

Hopefully tomorrow I can get started on modifying the rack.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
That escalated quickly. Cannot wait to see how it turns out.
Yep, it did! :ROFLMAO: My wife and I got tired of watching overlanding videos and wishing we could be out there. We decided on a few compromises that would allow us to make it happen sooner rather than later. One was that I decided there are many places my truck is capable of going without the upgrades I have planned.....although I do still intend to do the upgrades at some point.

Reactions: DigEm
181 - 200 of 200 Posts