Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
That is an excellent kit. That is what is in Bryan's Red truck except he elected to go add-a-leaf instead of the spring packs. He is then cranked another inch and has one inch shackles out back. so basically he has 5 inches. on 33's. He could squeeze 35's with some cutting.
If I went with that kit I would have to use spacers since the OEM wheels would not clear the new spindles. I would probably go with the spring packs instead of add a leaf because with all the extra weight I will wind up carrying new springs would probably be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
What size are your wheels? If they are 17's you should clear. 18's for sure, I think, been so long since I looked I might be wrong. Bryan is running spacers. Should ask him about that.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
What size are your wheels? If they are 17's you should clear. 18's for sure, I think, been so long since I looked I might be wrong. Bryan is running spacers. Should ask him about that.
They are 17" with 5.25" of backspacing. I believe I need 4.5" or less of backspacing.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Okay, That is correct. but a 1 inch spacer would widen the track by two inches, give better stability. Be as wide as Bryan's.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Okay, That is correct. but a 1 inch spacer would widen the track by two inches, give better stability. Be as wide as Bryan's.
Yeah, whichever route I go I will likely have to use spacers.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Quick update....kinda. The tires on the truck were worn to the point that they were dangerous on wet roads but I will not be ready to do the lift and other various upgrades with larger tires until later this year. So, I went ahead and put a new set of BFG KM3 Mud Terrains on it in the current size. It will not be money wasted when I do the upgrades since my Suburban takes the exact same size tires. They will be the next set of tires for the Suburban when that time comes.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Window

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I also have some feedback on the Badlands Apex winch from Harbor Freight. That thing is a beast. Managed to get my tractor stuck crossing a drainage ditch (backhoe got hung up on the bank and kept the rear tires from touching the bottom of the ditch). The winch never even broke a sweat pulling it out.
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Tractor

Reactions: WV NATIVE

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
LOL I was having fun. I got to play with two of my toys at the same time. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Ok, some unusual progress on the overland build......but I am going to call it progress.
The Canyon is currently my wife's daily driver and I figured out that in order to start the next phase of the build I was going to need to kick my wife out of it and take it off the road for awhile. I plan to do the lift, tires, front axle swap, lockers and skid plates all at the same time.....figured I might as well do it all while I was under there and had everything apart. I may also replace the front hubs since they have over 150,000 miles on them and I have to take them apart to install the lift anyway. My wife and I decided we should get her something that with a few upgrades would be able to keep up with the Canyon off-road when the build is done. The idea is that if we go on a trip with a group, we take the Canyon since it will be completely equipped. If the two of us go by ourselves, we take a spare vehicle along for safety. Today we struck a deal on a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited with the 4.7L HO V8 and the Quadra Drive II 4wd system. With 143,000 miles on it I will have to address a few issues, but overall it seems pretty solid. It does not appear to have ever been off road and seems to have been well taken care of ( I was able to get fairly extensive maintenance records from CarFax). I was also able to acquire a copy of the factory build sheet using the VIN so I knew everything it had before going to see it today. After addressing mechanical/maintenance issues I will at least partially build the Jeep before resuming the Canyon build. I will start with a 4" lift and 33" KM3's. I may go ahead and do the complete build on the Jeep before resuming the Canyon build because it will be much quicker. With the Quadra Drive system it will not require as much modification to be an extremely capable off-road vehicle. The full build will include front off road bumper with a winch, rear off road bumper with a spare tire carrier, skid plates, rock sliders and a snorkel. And of course, here are pics of it the way it looks right now.
Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Car
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire
Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

With the purchase of this Jeep, my Canyon is finally going to transition from daily driver to toy.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Good Morning. You going to be able to make the meet in Melbourne in April?
I am not sure yet. COVID put me in the hospital and has kept me down for a month. That has put me so far behind on projects I don't know if I will ever catch up. Especially since I still tire way too easily. It will probably be a last minute decision on whether I attend or not.

Reactions: DigEm

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Well.......my wife was driving the Canyon to work this morning and hit a large deer while going about 55 mph......
Thanks to that massive bumper/brush guard I installed last year, my wife and daughter are fine.
The truck is fine......not even a scratch.
The deer? Last seen orbiting the Moon.
I think I am going to give the truck a name: Deerwhacker 5000 :ROFLMAO:
We had already planned to install a similar bumper on the Jeep Grand Cherokee....considering where we live and this morning's events, that just got bumped up in priority. It is in the shop getting oil leaks fixed, which is why my wife was still driving the Canyon. I was going to start on the Jeep with the lift and tires but now I will start with the bumper I think.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Ok, not a big step in the Overland Rig project....but it is progress....and I gotta keep this thread alive somehow. :LOL:
I installed an axle breather tube extension kit. Both breather tubes now terminate high on the firewall. The stock positions on my Z71 were not bad, but I wanted them higher.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Wood

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Where did you find this kit?
Amazon. Here is a link: Differential Axle Breather
Word of warning, hot exhaust pipes don't play nice with the plastic tubing in the kit. Don't ask me how I know... :rolleyes:
The tubing fits right on the vent stub on the front differential but is too small for the stub on the rear axle. It does, however, fit snugly inside the existing vent hose on the rear axle once you remove the tip. Also, get some small hose clamps. There are not any included with the kit, just zip ties.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
After a mere 160,000 miles my radiator has sprung a leak. I am about to order a replacement from Summit Racing (OE drop-in, nothing exotic) but what has been the hardest to find has been the radiator hoses. Aftermarket, nobody seems to have them or be able to get them. I finally went to the local GM dealer Friday and they were able to order them for me with about a week lead time. Surprisingly, the price wasn't bad compared to the aftermarket ones that nobody has anyway. Upper and lower hose plus the heater hose connections at the firewall (originals failed at 75,000 miles...time to replace them again) for a grand total of under $200. I will likely replace the water pump and thermostat while I am in there and am debating replacing the heater hoses as well... they are not currently leaking, but at that point everything but the heater core would be new. Should I go with a 160 degree thermostat, or stick with the OEM 190 degree? Other than when one of the heater hose connectors failed catastrophically at 75,000 miles my engine has never overheated or even run warm.....even now with the radiator leaking.
Anybody who has replaced the radiator on a V8 355 please give me any tips you may have.

161 - 180 of 200 Posts