Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a swap from my G80 to an Ox Locker. The ox locker website shows the GM 8.5". Does anyone know if the 8.5" parts interchange with our 8.6" parts?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I will find out! I have to wait to find the time for the install, but it should be better than the G80.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
any updates?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not yet. I am still gathering tools for the install. I expect to tackle the job within two weeks if everything goes to plan. I will getting rid of the G80 if you know anyone who may be interested. I think it would work well for the V8 street guys. I don't like it offroad.

·
Registered
424 Posts
When disengaged, it's a open diff just like the G80, right? And when engaged it's like a spool (no diff)?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I was under the impression that the 8.5 and the 8.6 had diff spline axles.
28 splines for the 8.5 and 30 for the 8.6 from what i have read.
our trucks have the 30 spline axles. this is a HD Eaton posi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When disengaged, it's a open diff just like the G80, right? And when engaged it's like a spool (no diff)?
Yes thats correct. I don't like the G80 because I have no true control when it locks up. Sometimes you don't want a locker off road. I have been scared a few times because the G80 decided it was time to engage. I gotta say that it does a good job, just not for me. The true trouble comes when you are going around the face of a muddy hill and have some wheel spin. In that scenario, hang on and pray!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
yes, a true locker is good off road. a Eaton keeps both wheels locked
all the time, I have one in my GN, great for street and strip. nothing
like a Gov lock. yes they suck. mine seems to work ok at the track, both
wheels bite. but i am still going to replace it. prob a gear drive Grizzly posi.
when i put in the 3:73 gears this summer if i can find the extra money over
the Eaton unit. I am interested in your old Gov Lock, I can have it rebuilt into
an Eaton unit with extra HD locking springs.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, a true locker is good off road. a Eaton keeps both wheels locked
all the time, I have one in my GN, great for street and strip. nothing
like a Gov lock. yes they suck. mine seems to work ok at the track, both
wheels bite. but i am still going to replace it. prob a gear drive Grizzly posi.
when i put in the 3:73 gears this summer if i can find the extra money over
the Eaton unit. I am interested in your old Gov Lock, I can have it rebuilt into
an Eaton unit with extra HD locking springs.
I didn't know you could rebuild a G80 into anything else! I hope to be done with the install by the end of the month, maybe first week of May. I will keep you posted if you can use it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
you need a rebuild kit and a machine shop, it's not am easy job.
plus knowledge of rear setups/ I have a lot of 10 bolt and 12 bolt
rear parts from my race car days.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my first time pulling my differentials. Any tips for the 10 bolt. I have read everything to prepare myself for this mod. I think the best rule is measure, measure, measure, then measure again! Any tips or tricks are always appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
be very careful when you do the crush collar. i reuse the old one but add a .005 to.010 shim
under the collar, then re-torque and check the drag. be very careful when you remove
the cross shaft bolt, they have a habit of breaking off at the head. work it out slowly,
no more force than necessary.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am only pulling the ring gear, not the pinion. I was hoping to take measurements from the G80 carrier and duplicate them for the OX. Is there a crush washer on the carrier? I am still gathering knowledge, so anything helps. I will surely be careful with the cross shaft bolt. It would be hard is that sucker broke off. I doubt I could get an easy out in there. Keep the tips coming. I am obviously nervous, but "luck will often enough save a man if his courage holds." Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
you should have a shim kit for the carrier side bearings. I don't know if the
factory ones will be right after you change the carrier. you will need to check the Heel
and Toe clearances and the backlash to see if it's to tight and the pinion depth

·
Registered
424 Posts
I kinda like having a "automatic" traction enhanced diff, even on dry pavement. I'm with TurboAl, a Eaton Posi, set up on the tight side, would be my preference hands down over the G80 but GM didn't see fit to do that on the 355.....oh well. One tire fires on or off road are not what I want nor do I want a spool. Selectable diffs are just that......an open diff or a spool, depending on whether or not they are engaged.

Torque to both wheels (traction enhanced diff) does require a little finesse on the skinny pedal when driving in slick/slippery conditions. There's no diff out there that will compensate for a lack of finesse on the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
djb383-check out www.Bet Performance LLC they sell the real Eaton posi
units for the 8.6 for 30 spline axles good prices on parts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Awesome, thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts