Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got tires put on a few weeks ago, and I went to check the tire pressure today because I was thinking of adding 5 psi and one of the valve stems is shorter than the rest. I am able to use my tire gauge on it but I can't get the air compressor chuck to work like it is to short to activate it. Is there a way to adjust the hight? I see there is a nut around the base of the stem. The rest are fine it's just the one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I would take back to the tire shop and make them fix it. Having one tire that you can't air up isn't any good.

..another option would be to get a straight head air chuck, but then you would have to carry it around with.. so make 'em fix it.

Milton 691 ($7) or the Milton S-693 ($7)

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I am going to bring it back in when I get time. I was just seeing if it was a simple fix. I definitely want it fixed in case I need to put air in away from home, most gas stations have the regular chuck on the air pumps. Thanks for the suggestion with the other chucks. I will probably pick one up just to have.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The longer you wait, the less of a problem is can be considered (to the shop).

You noticed it now - return it for a proper fix. Try arranging a ride to work from the shop if you can't miss the time while the repair is being made. Or even better, change the tire over to your spare tonight, drop it off the wheel in the morning then there is no down time.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
they used to sell valve stem extensions, about an inch long.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
The tire shop should have installed the correct length schrader repair kit, especially if you had to pay for this service or they damaged the part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the help, that is the same value stem they put in, the same grey caps and all. I don't have tpms though. So you guys think they put the wrong size in?

I see in that picture there is a non threaded part, on all the tires you only see the treads not the non treaded part do you think they are all to short?

I called and they said to bring it in on Thursday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help, that is the same value stem they put in, the same grey caps and all. I don't have tpms though. So you guys think they put the wrong size in?

I see in that picture there is a non threaded part, on all the tires you only see the treads not the non treaded part do you think they are all to short?

I called and they said to bring it in on Thursday.
After ordering two different, straight, lock on style air chucks from Amazon with lots of great reviews and buying one from Harbor Freight, all of them are too deep to seal on my valve stems. My searches brought me to your post. All 4 are exactly like yours in the picture; you can only see the threads. Were your improperly installed? What was the fix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts