Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rep'n East TN
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is not a colorado question but i hope someone can help because most people on 8thcivic are not helpful.

my girlfriend has a 07 civic lowered on raceland coilovers. about 50 mph it has a awful shake to it. the steering wheel does not do it just the body. the rear tires were bald when we got the rims on it i thought that was the problem but it was not. it even did it with another set of springs. we have taken it to two shops one wont even look at it the other says it is from flipping a tire that we have not even flipped. it is a pain just trying to find someone to take my money and look at it. i am sure it is something in the front rims or tires. the front tires are about 75% the rears are brand new.

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Why won't the one shop look at it, their reasoning?? And what does 'flipping' a tire mean?

It could be a bent rim. Unbalanced tires. Maybe bad wheel bearings. I'm not at all familiar with the rear end of a civic, especially with the suspension. But with an altered vehicle there are additional things to factor in such as the lowering components, an the way they were installed. If your body is vibrating I'd look to the rear first. Most front end vibrations are transferred through the steering linkage and into the steering wheel.

Tread wear won't cause vibrations...unless it is uneven wear in which case the tire has worn out of balance. Example, bad front end alignment and you chew up one edge of the tire....it's no longer balanced.

·
Rep'n East TN
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they just said they didnt want to touch it. and i mean the inside of the tire was worn so we flipped it to turn the worn part out. it did it with two different kinds of suspension but not with factory rims so im pretty sure its something to do with the rims. i know the guy i got them from he said it didnt do it to him but he is screwing us on a huge deal of a few parts so i dont really believe him. the second shop told us there was uneven wear in the front and just drive it until it fixes itself but all we did was take the front off his and stuck it on mine didnt mess with the rims

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think its the front. If it was the front, it would come through the steering wheel. You get all 4 tires rebalances and see if it helps. Its not really that hard to figure out.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
they just said they didnt want to touch it. and i mean the inside of the tire was worn so we flipped it to turn the worn part out. it did it with two different kinds of suspension but not with factory rims so im pretty sure its something to do with the rims. i know the guy i got them from he said it didnt do it to him but he is screwing us on a huge deal of a few parts so i dont really believe him. the second shop told us there was uneven wear in the front and just drive it until it fixes itself but all we did was take the front off his and stuck it on mine didnt mess with the rims
I'd probably never be going back to either of the two shops you mentioned. One one touch it (because they clearly don't want to) and the other shop that said to just drive until your tires wear evenly...that's just stupid.

Seems like you already figured out your problem if you said other rims didn't vibrate. He may have it a pothole and bent a rim. Hit a curb and bent a rim. Or the suspension is tweaked, but it would do it with all wheels mounted, not removed with wheel replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts