Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my stock height 04 ZQ8 crew cab for a couple years. PO already had Avalanche wheels with 245/40R20 tires. Whole time I've had the truck vibrates like tires need rotate and balance. Have had rotated and balance a few time but no difference. Possible causes? Wrong lugs and is so which one do I need? U-joint? Other cause?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Have the wheels been bored or do you have spacers? If they were bored, how were they bored, just enough room for the hub to clear or all the way through?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Both of the members above have valid points

·
Registered
409 Posts
Were the wheels actually bored out? I recall a horror story of a member just bolting on the full-size wheels without modifying the centerbore and soon snapped the lugs and wheel off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has the same struts that were on it when I got it. It had 102k on it when I bought it a couple years ago. It has 127k now. Come to think if it the truck does almost bust my gut when I hit a bump but I'm not expecting a "Cadillac" ride with 245/40R20s. Any recommendations on struts? I am ok with the current height. Would maybe consider dropping rear maybe 1" but fear of a worse ride has contained that urge. Thought going with 235/45R20s when getting new tires might improve the ride but figured this probably wouldn't help that much.

As for the bore, I'll have to check. I know I'm not using spacers and I know the wheels were machined but not sure how much clearance.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Remove the wheels and look at the bore. Is the bore clean and does it look concentric? If the bore was done eccentrically, or sloppy, one of the wheels may not be balancing properly.

If the tire shop balances them up easily (not requiring high amounts of weights) then that probably is not the problem.

A bent axle will cause a vibration too.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Need to make sure the bore on the wheels is deep enough that the wheels are sitting flat on the hub.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is your shake in the steering wheel or in the seat and floor? If in the steering wheel it is the front end, if in the seat and floor it is the rears. I have H3 wheels and my final cure for my shake was welding a machine turned washer to the rear axle spud, lengthening the axle spud. The bore on my H3 wheels are counter bored to deep and would not contact the axle spud and then after several hundred miles they would get just off center enough to shake like HELL. Bad enough I eat an axle bearing.
Luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on the input I've received, I'm going to check my bore clearance as well as replace my front struts and rear shocks. I believe I am stock zq8 height and I'm at the height I want. From what I've read I think I want Belltech front shocks and struts. Do I need to select base as the submodel for a zq8?

·
Registered
504 Posts
not to sound stupid, but, are you sure its coming from the wheels? try driving it and put it in neutral and see if it still vibrates. not sure if you have a 2 piece drive shaft or not, if you do have a 2 piece and it has ever come out and not put back in right it will vibrate. i know i was having an issue with my full size after the shop replaced the center support bearing they put it back together wrong. its at the shop now getting fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts