Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my high-mile Colorado. I didn't notice it earlier but lately I'm feeling a driveshaft speed vibration mostly in the steering wheel for the first mile or so that I drive. After that, it's smooth. Anyone ever seen this? I'm worried it's a symptom of something bigger coming. I'll get it on a lift when I can.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all speeds but I don't make a lot of speed in the first mile. It's just the first mile when cold and the vibration speeds or slows with the truck speed. Putting it in neutral lightens the vibration a bit but otherwise doesn't change it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've only had the truck about 400 miles. This morning I jacked up each front and 1 rear and spun them and didn't get any noise or joint binding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My truck did that when the u-joints were getting pretty bad. How many miles are on the truck? Since the vibration lightens in neutral that also makes it sounds like a u-joint problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't checked the joints yet. This morning I realized it feels far stronger in the steering wheel than anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Could be the tires flat spotting when the truck is parked, then after driving a bit they warm up and return to shape.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Symptom update. I tried it in 4wd and it shakes hard, but it only seems to do it forward. Reverse SEEMS fine. I'm sure I'll find something when I can get it on a lift. My current theory is there's something wrong in the front like a rotted solid joint, and when the transfer case is cold, it spins the front shaft for a while.

On the bright side I picked up a factory tonneau for cheap today!!

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Make sure the rear brakes aren't hanging up. Sometimes they rust over night and cause some weird symptoms until you use them a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Make sure the rear brakes aren't hanging up. Sometimes they rust over night and cause some weird symptoms until you use them a few times.
Now that you say that, check your CV joints. It's possible they are shot.

Especially if it does it worse in 4wd. The front differential is always spinning to an extent, but is disconnected at the front shafts and at the t-case.

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got some lift time and found the front shaft joint was seized. Something in the front must spin that shaft a little until it warms a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I finally got some lift time and found the front shaft joint was seized. Something in the front must spin that shaft a little until it warms a bit.
Good find!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts