Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a Viper alarm? I bought one for my last car, but never got around to getting it installed. Went down to a sound shop today to get an estimate and they want $350 to do the install. For that kind of $, I'll do it myself, but I was wondering if there's anything important I should know before doing it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Yeah DEI are really good. Viper, Python, and Clifford are ALL the same. shouldnt be too hard, but if you get stuck i believe Directed has actual diagrams on their websites for each vehicle... i will have to double check on that

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys know where to buy the GM by-pass thing? The guy at the sound shop told me I'd need a GM by-pass in order to install it and that they could buy it for me but it'd be another $100 (so it was $250 before and then $350 because I don't have it).

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I got the PLJX bypass but I think I may have gotten a bad unit because like I said my remote start still doesn't work. The truck turns on like the key is in ON, then the lights turn off just like it's going to crank but no cranky. :(

There are a couple of other ones you can get, I think I paid like $40 or $60 for it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
yeah bro, its how they make their money. i used to work at a shop installing stereos/alarms.. we would buy small shit like that for cheap and sell it for at least 3x the price... :shrug:
i say go for it yourself and install it.. it really isnt too hard, especially when you have access to the web, you can just google what you need and there's all kinds of diagrams for everything... or just search on here!! :355:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any real difference between using a Commando (brand of the I posted) and the DEI one? I found a DEI one on Ebay for $40.

·
Registered
51 Posts
DEI ones are really good products IMO. I have a Python 990 alarm/command start.

Got it installed along with the bypass at a pretty good price too.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
viper alarms rock man i have one on my truck. Remote start works great i can start it from like 500 feet away i swear

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I bought the DEI by-pass off of Ebay ... hopefully I'll be able to get this done this weekend or next.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts