Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a np241 tcase into my truck. I can't figure out how to get the vss to work. I tried splicing the wires together each way and nothing. The colorado has a purple( signal low) and yellow (signal high). The 241 has a purple (input 1) and green (input 2). I put each together and with it in drive without a driveshaft nothing. The output was spinning my my speedometer did nothing. I'm horrible at wiring and not sure how to proceed.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
From what I can see on diagrams the NP241 has a Purple/WHT which is the output and a Green/BLK wire for the input signal.

I'd have to assume our PCM the low would be the input signal and the high would be the output or feedback from the sensor. I'm not 100% on that but that makes the most sense to me from looking at the diagrams.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried both of them together and nothing.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
You have the proper reluctor and sensor installed, correct? I think there are 2 different size reluctors available and one isn't compatible with our set-up. You should be able to test the vss just like a ABS sensor. Spin it with a meter hooked up on AC and you should get a reading as it spins.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tested dc on it. I was going to try a new sensor. I thought they were all 40 tooth wheels. Ima do more testing tonight.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should be able to test across it with it spinning to see if the sensor is bad correct?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yeah but it is AC not DC. I guess there is a reluctor that reads double the value of the other. I think they may have the same tooth count on the reluctor but the voltage scale is different.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm. Well I'll see what I can research. That vss sensor is like $75 at advanced so I'd like to exhaust other options first lol.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YouTube says I should be able to test ac on the sensor while in motion and get voltage. I had my wife rev the truck in gear and no voltage. So ima try and get a new sensor and see if it works.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yeah you definitely should be getting significant readings if you were using the engine. Sounds like the sensors no good. Check out the reluctor as well and make sure it's not all gummed up or something that would prevent the sensor from reading reacting with it.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your alls help. I believe I have it fixed. Changed the sensor and immediately got 5volts as soon as the tcase started spinning. My driveshaft will be here Friday so I'll know for sure.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help. Speedo matches my gps.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Good to hear. How was the new T-case on the test ride? Any power gains or loss on he butt dyno from more or less friction on the drivetrain?

I think those factory t-cases get some play in them pretty quick from how my truck feels taking off.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ever since I went to 37s I had a shudder when I took off. I assumed it was the clutch. But it stayed when I swapped to an auto. I didn't notice it last night. But I may of just been over excited. Everything else felt the same. I also didn't throw any codes with all the unplugged electronics.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Not surprising. My 4x4 module had gotten wet and everything in it was either corroded or shorted and I had nothing lit up on the dash, but no function whatsoever from the 4x4 controls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts