Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys since I have done the ball-joint flip I have noticed very unusual wear on my tires so I did some investigating on what the cause was. I have discovered that the Ball-Joint flip changes the reaction of the upper and lower balljoints when turning and during suspension cycling. Hang your head out the window and watch your tire as the chamber will move WAY out in the situations I just described. My front tires now have 2 angles on the tread surface and will have to be replaced very prematurely since my rears are still well over half tread(I also spin the shit out of my rears constantly).

I went through every other possibility that could cause this and I am left with only the ball-joint flip as the source since my tie-rods were replaced very recently as well as all 4 of my balljoints when I did the flip.

I highly suggest those who have done this to return them back to normal.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Do you have an alignmnet done???

Also, have you checked your tie rods? Sounds like the same problem I was having and my driver side was completely shot when I got it off. My pasenger side maybe had a few more months left but I could move ite easily with my fingers...

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
i noticed the top kick out a lot more when hitting bumps, no unusual wear though, i flipped about 10k miles ago. i have kept it aligned and rotated. i know its pretty much pointless with 2" crank or less, and the less crank the harder it is to align when flipped

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have an alignmnet done???

Also, have you checked your tie rods? Sounds like the same problem I was having and my driver side was completely shot when I got it off. My pasenger side maybe had a few more months left but I could move ite easily with my fingers...
Alignment done and just had it double-checked after I noticed the wear everything was in check. Upgraded to Moog tie rods and tie rod ends as well as all 4 brand new ball-joints when I did the flip.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
i have an alignment question, How do people with a 4" lift and their tb cranked get their camber to align properly? I have about 2-3/4" cranked, and i took it to a shop and they have my camber maxed out and its still about out to where you can notice it just by looking at it. Can someone help me cuz i have brand new tires and dont want to wear the insides of them out. I'm going to turn my bars back down alittle just to where i dont rub while turning to see if that helps.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,872 Posts
I'll have to go out and check mine. I don't have any way to check my tire tread because these tires are already on their last miles.

·
Formerly Metal_EMT
1,872 Posts
oh and did you have a spacer installed also? or just flipped?

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I have the BJ flip and no spacer; 2 years and 25K miles later, no abnormal treadwear.

·
Premium Member
18,005 Posts
I did the ball joint flip and spacer right after buying new tires and don't see anything wrong with the tread wear.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no spacer just flipped and I flipped it back earlier to confirm this and now the chamber stays as it should during cycling. My backspacing may amplify it more than than some of you will experience because I'm at 3.5"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys since I have done the ball-joint flip I have noticed very unusual wear on my tires so I did some investigating on what the cause was. I have discovered that the Ball-Joint flip changes the reaction of the upper and lower balljoints when turning and during suspension cycling. Hang your head out the window and watch your tire as the chamber will move WAY out in the situations I just described. My front tires now have 2 angles on the tread surface and will have to be replaced very prematurely since my rears are still well over half tread(I also spin the shit out of my rears constantly).

I went through every other possibility that could cause this and I am left with only the ball-joint flip as the source since my tie-rods were replaced very recently as well as all 4 of my balljoints when I did the flip.

I highly suggest those who have done this to return them back to normal.
I flipped mine three years ago and have never had any issue with my tires. I bet who ever did the front end alignment didn't know what they were doing. I've had a couple places like Dobbs and even a little shop that gets alot of buisness by my house called Clark tire do a horrible job on the alignment both places named made my truck 75% worse then when I brought the truck to them. and they both had the nerve to tell me it's right. 3" leveling kit, ball joint flip and stage 2 differential drop 32x11.50 on factory 15R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts