Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a water leak now for the past couple months, whenever it rains my passenger floor board becomes wet, seems like it’s coming from firewall but I’ve removed cowl and I can’t find anything that looks off about it. Let me add I have replaced the whole third brake light housing sealed up very good with black rtv, and the windshield is as far as I know oem. I’m not running my AC so I believe it has nothing to do with the HVAC system. I have tried to track it the best I can with a hose but it’s very difficult to pinpoint. Any tips on finding a water leak? Or anyone going through the same thing right now? By the way it’s a 2011 2.9 Colorado Ext Cab. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are there any other areas of the floor wet ? Do you have the factory rear sliding window ?

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I’d recommend pulling the fenders off along with the cowl.

Put a bead of silicone along the body panel overlaps where the factory put the adhesive. You’ll see what I’m talking about when you pull everything apart.

I had to do that in several places to keep my cab dry. It’s not a bad job just annoying.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Several years ago I had a really strange situation in my 2008 extended cab Colorado – I too thought that I must have a leak in the front area of the cab since the passenger side floorboard would seem to be the only area that got wet when it rained either fairly hard or for a long time.

But it turned out that was only where the water was pooling and further investigation showed that the water was actually coming from the rear of the cab. I checked the high brakelight but didn’t find any problems.

It wound up being a small pinhole in the passenger side groove that the molding sits in – actually just above the rear window, on the vertical part of the roof near where it curves back in to recess for the window. I had to remove the curved end piece of the molding to really see it and fix it.

Once I patched the pinhole, no more leak!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put a bead of silicone along the body panel overlaps where the factory put the adhesive. You’ll see what I’m talking about when you pull everything apart.

I had to do that in several places to keep my cab dry. It’s not a bad job just annoying.
[/QUOTE]
This is what I will try thank you very much I appreciate the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
The seam on the firewall leaks. There was a issue with assembly factory work instructions. One side of truck instructions said to seal this seam while the other side missed this step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I bought my truck I removed all the interior and replaced it, the rear factory window on the area where the trim that runs along the roof channels was letting water in. I later removed those as they were peeling and went ahead and sealed those roof channels. NO JOKE a plastic razor blade made a tiny pin hole later on that roof channel and made a leak too super soft...... my truck is black and free of leaks I used permatex on the rear window looks clean and for roof channels 3M Marine sealant very happy with my result. But yeah those were my two spots water was getting in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts