Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kicker 850.2 amp and i either want a 12 or 15 kicker L7. The 12 has 750 rms and the 15 has 1000. The kicker certified sheet says it was tested at 1087 so would the amp be to much for the 12.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
i don't know too much about that stuff, but i think you'll be okay as long as you don't crank the volume.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It's all in how you tune everything!! It would power the 12" just fine.

I mean starting from the deck all the way to the gains on the amp. But the MOST important is the deck. Just ask away!!!!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be keeping my stock radio for now and i'm replacing the door speakers also. I will run the pass low on the radio. if i get a 12 what should the gain be.

·
Registered
893 Posts
To insure your amp is getting a "clean" signal never put your head unit volume any more than 2/3rds. It's safer at 1/2 actually. Also make sure that the EQ is FLAT. Meaning straight across, not adding any bass, mids, or treble. Then the correct way to adjust your gains on the amp is with a multimeter. If you don't have one that's fine also BUT you have to be very careful when your giving it the power. If you just move it up SLOWLY only move it up until the speaker starts to make a different sound then back it off (quickly) a little and call it a day. That should get you close. Then you NEVER turn up the head unit more than the half way point or wherever you originally tuned it in at.

The reasoning beyond this is if the signal gets "clipped" from the head unit you would be sending a "clipped" signal to the amp/amps and then amplifying that "clipped" signal to send to the speakers and the ends up in disaster for every speaker you have......

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But won't running it flat not give you very good highs and mids to the door speakers. I had it hooked up to 2 old style p2s which were 400rms and i turned the volume up to almost max cause i was testing a box i designed for a yukon but i had the gain in the middle and the bass knob between 1/2 way and 3/4 way

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ok first off your talking about two different sets of speakers and different frequencies. (I'm not trying to be a dick here)

What gain are you talking about?? The gain on the amp?? And just my $.02 bass knobs are trash. To me they are used for a poorly tuned system. You should be able to set the gains once for a particular type of music and never really mess with it at all. With my system I can play anything from serious bass music to Kenny G to Korn and it all sounds pretty damn good.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Well I use my remote bass nob 'cause I live in the hood.I can turn the bass to the sub all the way down when I get close to my house and turn it back up when I leave,so they do have a good use.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I have a kicker 850.2 amp and i either want a 12 or 15 kicker L7. The 12 has 750 rms and the 15 has 1000. The kicker certified sheet says it was tested at 1087 so would the amp be to much for the 12.

RMS and Peak are measured in Watts. Technically you should match the power levels to the power handling ( speakers don't have watts - they handle them ). So I would recommend the 1000 watt sub. And properly tune it or you'll blow the speaker no matter the power level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok first off your talking about two different sets of speakers and different frequencies. (I'm not trying to be a dick here)

What gain are you talking about?? The gain on the amp?? And just my $.02 bass knobs are trash. To me they are used for a poorly tuned system. You should be able to set the gains once for a particular type of music and never really mess with it at all. With my system I can play anything from serious bass music to Kenny G to Korn and it all sounds pretty damn good.
While that's a valid point, it's not entirely true. If you listen to only store purchased CD's, well, that's great. However, if you're listening to a burnt CD, your volume is going to be very different than a properly mastered CD. Also, if you plug in your IPOD, most head units convert the signal to play 3-6 db's louder than a regular CD.

I agree that the bass knobs that come with most amplifiers are trash because they turn down all the levels of the amp. As you pointed out, this can cause clipping issues at high volume and generally poor sound quality. I prefer a line level adjustment knob which is a very clean version of a "bass knob," it turns down the input to the amp, this way I can listen to whatever someone has at any particular time. ;)

Whatever way you decide to go though, filli57, Hannibal is correct on his tuning methods and Bob is correct in his last post.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts