Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wax my wife's black 2010 gmc terrain by hand and not back

i clayed it and then wax it came out alright would have been better with a buffer does anyone know of a really good cheap orbital buffer ????

thanks

also does anyone know of a good wax for black cars to get rid of swirl marks and scratch's

thanks again guys

·
Batman
5,649 Posts
Screw that Black Box stuff, I stained my hands for a week and ruined my rags.

I'm gonna try Xymol has a dark color wax called cream or something like that I'm gonna try that next time after my Mothers Reflextion runs out.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
CALI BOSS
6,270 Posts
I use Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with a Porter Cable 7424 that has a 6 Inch Yellow Cutting Wave Pad on it.

Here is a before/after shot. I placed a strip of masking tape down the front fender and polished the left side with the products mentioned above

Then I sealed the polished paint with some Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Finishing Glaze that I has left over and topped it off with Zymol Carbon.

Here's the finished results

·
Registered
613 Posts
wax is for sealing in a finish youre happy with. To correct swirls and fine scratches you'll need compounds and polishes.

Orbitals are hardly strong enough to do this. You can get some results out of them, don't get me wrong, but its definitely worth paying extra for a quality dual action polisher.

I personally use a Porter Cable 7346sp (very similar to picture above) but with an assortment of pads from Lake Country (pictured above is a Meguiar's pad) along with Meg's M105 and M205 compounds and polishes.

As far as wax goes, you can order a number of high quality ones online but if you're looking to just pick up a bottle in stores, I suggest Meg's Ultimate Wax. It's actually a sealant, not a wax (meaning synthetic or man-made versus carnauba wax coming from a palm leaf). Carnauba will give black a better glow if you have the eye for it but the synthetic sealant has better durability. The Ultimate Wax in particular lays down very evenly by DA polisher and is very easy to buff out. As far as it's durability, I'm going on 3 months with it on a few of my clients cars and its still beading water very well.

Zymol's american line is simply Turtle wax relabeled. Read the back of the bottle, you'll see mention of this. A good majority of Turtle Wax stuff has silicone in it; not detrimental if you're not anal about your truck but its not a good thing in the long run. Spend the few extra bucks if youre buying from a parts store and buy a Meguiars or Mothers product. They have the lowest levels of silicone and are the best you'll get buying locally unless you can find detailer suppliers.

good luck with work and if you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me with q's.

also, if you're going to take the time to do a paint correction like this, research the two-bucket method and proper drying methods so you dont just re-instil swirls in your paint

·
Registered
613 Posts
using products listed above, this is a recent paint correction i did for a severely oxidized finish. this requires the same process for swirl/scratch removal

·
CALI BOSS
6,270 Posts
Yes, the Zymol Cleaner Wax that you find in the bottle at your FLAPS is manufactured/distributed by Turtle Wax. You will also not find that or the related Zymol products seen on the FLAPS shelves in their website Official Zymol Website - Home

It's a decent product and can remove light holograms/spider-webbing but it dusts a lot and stains the bare plastics badly.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
using products listed above, this is a recent paint correction i did for a severely oxidized finish. this requires the same process for swirl/scratch removal

First class work Ace!!

I love paint correction as well as protection. I did detailing and polishing 15/16 yrs ago and would love to use some of the new technology. I learned from the wool pad experts. Don't get me wrong, I still see wool being used to produce amazing results but I bet the new technology has really helped this industry to save time as well as product.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts