Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We have been working hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. We have leveraged XenForo tools and features but added layers of modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A consistent experience across all devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and reliability are key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

Easy to use and navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to focus on the areas the community uses the most and removed clutter.

We have also introduced a number of new and updated features:

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Popular and New Posts
We have made it easy to navigate directly to the Popular (previously Active Topics) Posts. You can find the Popular section, which includes “New Posts”, by clicking on the trending up arrow in the navigation. Always be up to date!

Bookmarks
Now you can bookmark your favorite discussions! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

Following
Following a thread is a great way to stay up-to-date on the topic, and receive alerts or emails when there are new replies. Thread subscriptions and watched threads are now called “Followed”. Your followed threads can be accessed by clicking on your user avatar, and clicking “Following”. We have migrated all of your existing subscriptions into the new platform.

Show off your own collection.
We have introduced “My Showcase” for you to show-off images of your own vehicles, modifications or road trips to the rest of the community and we have migrated in the existing data from our vBulletin Garages. This is your opportunity to upload often and share your passion! Visit Showcase.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/kJez7_baVUCyf6N6y_lb3FM7QTUELc_ocoNe00c_GhIKqjuG3GIO_N_lUiSldJfnGaRdlQinT3k6QuC9QMxr9AYMbC5e8w4N0jzUaRZZ7SuT09X30z-zyLnKF4cgKL5msl_8erpF

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it through the right-hand drop-down menu.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:

Forum Listing – the forum index, or forum home, is now known as the Forum Listing page. It can be found in the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.

Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following

Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation

Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas gallery would be like a photo album. Can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots

Popular – is the new name for Active Topics. You can also directly navigate to New Posts / Today’s Posts from this button

Account Settings – is the new name for UserCP. The account settings can be found by clicking on your avatar in the top right navigation

Bookmarks – a great place to store valuable content that you may want to reference later.

These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (yes, the insect) so I have been Cricket for nearly 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas and spend most of my off time out in nature. I spend my vacation, in the fall, hiking and camping.

I have worked with VerticalScope for nearly 5 years now. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

(I took this photo on a road trip to Alabama.)

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed. :)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How To Find New Posts
From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on the upward-pointing arrow and then select “New Posts” from the drop-down menu.

This will open a new page of new posts for you. You can also choose to set special filters or mark all posts read on that same page.

- Cricket

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't like it at all , the navigation is terrible , the way it was before was much better , I have no idea where anything is , I was hoping after I had to log back in , that it would change and look like it did before , but disappointed is a understatement , if its that hard to find stuff , then it was not a improvement , to me you just ruined a easily navigable site , and made it confusing and on top of that , bland , I will take the slow loading functional site it was ,over this any day , the layout was much better the way it was , the way everything was separated into each section , the main Forum page , EVERYTHING , was better than it is now , Engine , Lifting , Electrical , etc. , now I don't see any of that , Well I do , but I have no clue as to whether I am in the right place or not , who actually thought this was better ??? ... were they drunk when they thought this was a improvement ?? and I don't even have a clue as to where my posts are ...... if this is how its going to be , not sure I will be back much ..... total letdown .... Newer is not always better , this "new" layout is a perfect example of that statement ....

I vote put it back the way it was and maybe work on how fast stuff loads , other than that the old was MUCH better .... just sayin ...

Sorry for those that spent time on this , but to me it feels like the way the County just tried to repair our road , they tore it up , no one is currently working on it and it looks like it was halfway done then left for everyone to fend for themselves in the dusty bumpy washboard road that used to be paved but just needed a few areas fixed , now its a mess that takes twice as long to drive down because its such a mess ..... this site now feels the same way .... 2 thumbs down vote for me .... sorry ....

·
Super Moderator
1,865 Posts
I've had 1 member say that his
I don't like it at all , the navigation is terrible , the way it was before was much better , I have no idea where anything is , I was hoping after I had to log back in , that it would change and look like it did before , but disappointed is a understatement , if its that hard to find stuff , then it was not a improvement , to me you just ruined a easily navigable site , and made it confusing and on top of that , bland , I will take the slow loading functional site it was ,over this any day , the layout was much better the way it was , the way everything was separated into each section , the main Forum page , EVERYTHING , was better than it is now , Engine , Lifting , Electrical , etc. , now I don't see any of that , , who actually thought this was better ??? ... were they drunk when they thought this was a improvement ?? and don't even have a clue as to where my posts are ...... if this is how its going to be , not sure I will be back much ..... total letdown .... Newer is not always better , this "new" layout is a perfect example of that statement ....

Sorry for those that spent time on this , but to me it feels like the way the County just tried to repair our road , they tore it up , no one is currently working on it and it looks like it was halfway done then left for everyone to fend for themselves in the dusty bumpy washboard road that used to be paved but just needed a few areas fixed , now its a mess that takes twice as long to drive down because its such a mess ..... this site now feels the same way .... 2 thumbs down vote for me .... sorry ....

Give it some time. I originally had the same feeling. However, getting past the navigation curve, it's not bad. The suggested dark mode is nice as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had 1 member say that his

Give it some time. I originally had the same feeling. However, getting past the navigation curve, it's not bad. The suggested dark mode is nice as well.
I don't think Dark Mode os going to fix that fact that I have no clue where anything is , where is Electrical ?? ,what section is it in ?? , there are now about 1/4 of the sections there were , and no indication as to where it is or what is also within each section that remains , like it was , you now can't see the last post , its just bad , It does not need Dark Mode , it needs "go back the way it was" mode ..... I am being 100% serious , it was better before ... period , the only improvement I can see fixing this is to revert back to how it was and leave it ..... Bland or colorful , the "new" layout sucks and I do not see it as a improvement , its more like 10 steps back ....and then you tripped and fell and really broke it ....

I think we need a pole on whether to put the site back the way it was , not sure I would be able to find the pole .... but it still needs one ..... Change isn't always a good thing , the thought of change is good , but I think this was not really thought out well , it looks like something someone just learning tried to do and failed but still thought it was good in their eyes ... , I don't understand why the EXACT old layout and look could not have been kept and just fixed the loading issues , etc. and let it remain the way it was , if the new code does not allow that , then its not a good code and you need to look elsewhere for one that is capable of keeping the integrity of the site and gaining the things that were holding it back (the only issue I EVER had was slow loading , but it was not a deterrent to keep me from returning .... this is .... , other than that , nothing needed fixing that I saw) and leaving the rest as it was .................

Not that what I am saying may matter to you guys , but it does to me and is a key factor on me using this place , I enjoy the forums and the info , but if its a pain to navigate , then all that change means nothing to me , and is a deterrent to return much ... Not a fan of any of this change ....I hope this was done for free , I would hold the check on this update ...

·
Registered
197 Posts
As of right now I think it is terrible also, just like Cfans update awhile back. I stopped using that site because it was confusing to use. They try to make it work with touch devices like phones and it makes using a computer cumbersome just like when windows 8 came out and seemed like it was made for tablets and they stuck it on a computer (that’s a big reason I went with apple)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pencil looking icon at the top will give you the forum list.

I prefer the old format but it is what it is... no going back
Not going back may mean losing people who post here ....lots of them , is that the goal here ?? , if so then he hit the mark .... that is what I see happening .... Seriously , this needs to be looked into reverting back , or making it physically "look" and work like it did before so people can navigate easily .... Why would someone think making it harder to navigate is good for anyone ????? , it is a deterrent to use the site , and myself , and it looks like others see it the same way .... This was not necessary and I can only see it hurting the site and the amount of traffic that remains here ..... I see nothing this site now offers that it did not already offer , except now , I am not enjoying my visits as I did just a few days ago ...... , I have not even looked at the forum posts because getting to here was far enough to see I don't like the change at all , not 1 thing that was done impresses me and I assume others that were happy using this site ..... now ...

I don't even want to search for my posts because its too much work now .. and its completely unnecessary for it to be like this , you took what took 1 step and added 12 steps to do the same thing , and its ugly on top of that , it looks generic , this looks like it is one of those free do it yourself websites , and I still don't have a clue where all the categories are , if it takes me 3 visits and I don't know where stuff is that was , then its a failure ..... actually a failure would indicate someone tried to make it better , this does not even live up to that .... .... things used to be in plain sight and you could just go to where you wanted , now you are saying we have to go here , to go there , to try to find what was already there before and now is not ........... Someone needs to talk to the webmaster and tell him he failed miserably , I don't have a clue what he was trying to achieve , but whatever it was , he missed the boat and fell right off the dock with this one .... it will take more than a life preserver to save this mess .....

It said you wanted input on how we like it .... I think you are getting your answer , and it does not look good .... As 2005 z71 said , you just ruined it for PC users .... it does not work , period , , his analogy was spot on , you can't have tablet/cell phone stuff and PC stuff , and Windows 8 and 10 are nowhere near as good as XP or Windows 7 , this is worse than that , this is the Windows Millennium of the truck forums now .... , , do 2 separate sites if that is what you are targeting , because this sucks for everyone that liked this place , and you will lose the PC guys if this is how its going to be ...... and you will lose everyone who likes to go to a site , see everything (like how it was) and read or contribute and navigate easily ........ it is everything except that now ..... I will take the old clunky site over this any day ......

Rant Over ..... Might come back .... might not ..... on the fence on this one ..... but not looking good if this is how its going to be , maybe I will wait a week and see if everyone came to their senses by then ..... ...... and I really liked this place too , key word being "liked" ...... now... not so much ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yea, after looking around for 10 min its not that bad. Like everyone we hate change haha. The fourms sub sections seem to be collapesed so thats one thing people will have to get used to. The dark theme is a nice feature when reading.

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello all,

Thanks for the feedback and we are already working on addressing some of the issues/features mentioned above. This is not the final final final version.

It will take some time to get used to however we will also still be making design tweaks and updates based upon user feedback.

Note the main Forum Index is here: https://www.355nation.net/forums/

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
One thing I am noticing, and maybe I am missing, but when you go and click the link to view new posts, it shows the new items with new posts, but there is no link to bring you to the latest reply on that item... You can only click on the item, and then you have to navigate to the end of the posting to see the new additions..

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't like it at all , the navigation is terrible , the way it was before was much better , I have no idea where anything is , I was hoping after I had to log back in , that it would change and look like it did before , but disappointed is a understatement , if its that hard to find stuff , then it was not a improvement , to me you just ruined a easily navigable site , and made it confusing and on top of that , bland , I will take the slow loading functional site it was ,over this any day , the layout was much better the way it was , the way everything was separated into each section , the main Forum page , EVERYTHING , was better than it is now , Engine , Lifting , Electrical , etc. , now I don't see any of that , Well I do , but I have no clue as to whether I am in the right place or not , who actually thought this was better ??? ... were they drunk when they thought this was a improvement ?? and I don't even have a clue as to where my posts are ...... if this is how its going to be , not sure I will be back much ..... total letdown .... Newer is not always better , this "new" layout is a perfect example of that statement ....

I vote put it back the way it was and maybe work on how fast stuff loads , other than that the old was MUCH better .... just sayin ...

Like most of us, I am a creature of habit, so it takes me a bit to get used to changes. (I was more than a little grumpy about it all at first.) I was lucky enough to get the chance to play with the new platform before they went live with it so I am already getting used to it. I have to admit that I am crazy about it now. It feels so much faster and is easy to use after a brief learning curve.

I can help you with navigation. That is what I am here for.

The full forum listing can be found under the 3 vertical dots, near the upper right-hand corner of the community.

Within the full forum listing page, there is drop-down menu for those sections with multiple subforums.

If you are looking for subscribe threads, click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select “following” from the drop-down menu.

This will bring you to a page where you can choose to view thread discussions or followed forums. You can also manage your notifications for them here.

If you are looking for your own posts, you can find them on your profile. Click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select "My Profile".

On your profile page you can click replies and discussions.

It can take a bit to adjust to any change, but I am here to help.

You can also find more FAQs with tutorials here.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to have the ability for more than 1 link in a sig though. Mine transferred with both links, but I can't edit it without dropping a link. I use both to communicate the registry info and members facebook group.
Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

Please note that previous signatures were grandfathered in, so these changes won’t take effect until they update their signature.

I will pass on your concern regarding the limitation of links within your signature.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not going back may mean losing people who post here ....lots of them , is that the goal here ?? , if so then he hit the mark .... that is what I see happening .... Seriously , this needs to be looked into reverting back , or making it physically "look" and work like it did before so people can navigate easily .... Why would someone think making it harder to navigate is good for anyone ????? , it is a deterrent to use the site , and myself , and it looks like others see it the same way .... This was not necessary and I can only see it hurting the site and the amount of traffic that remains here ..... I see nothing this site now offers that it did not already offer , except now , I am not enjoying my visits as I did just a few days ago ...... , I have not even looked at the forum posts because getting to here was far enough to see I don't like the change at all , not 1 thing that was done impresses me and I assume others that were happy using this site ..... now ...

I don't even want to search for my posts because its too much work now .. and its completely unnecessary for it to be like this , you took what took 1 step and added 12 steps to do the same thing , and its ugly on top of that , it looks generic , this looks like it is one of those free do it yourself websites , and I still don't have a clue where all the categories are , if it takes me 3 visits and I don't know where stuff is that was , then its a failure ..... actually a failure would indicate someone tried to make it better , this does not even live up to that .... .... things used to be in plain sight and you could just go to where you wanted , now you are saying we have to go here , to go there , to try to find what was already there before and now is not ........... Someone needs to talk to the webmaster and tell him he failed miserably , I don't have a clue what he was trying to achieve , but whatever it was , he missed the boat and fell right off the dock with this one .... it will take more than a life preserver to save this mess .....

It said you wanted input on how we like it .... I think you are getting your answer , and it does not look good .... As 2005 z71 said , you just ruined it for PC users .... it does not work , period , , his analogy was spot on , you can't have tablet/cell phone stuff and PC stuff , and Windows 8 and 10 are nowhere near as good as XP or Windows 7 , this is worse than that , this is the Windows Millennium of the truck forums now .... , , do 2 separate sites if that is what you are targeting , because this sucks for everyone that liked this place , and you will lose the PC guys if this is how its going to be ...... and you will lose everyone who likes to go to a site , see everything (like how it was) and read or contribute and navigate easily ........ it is everything except that now ..... I will take the old clunky site over this any day ......

Rant Over ..... Might come back .... might not ..... on the fence on this one ..... but not looking good if this is how its going to be , maybe I will wait a week and see if everyone came to their senses by then ..... ...... and I really liked this place too , key word being "liked" ...... now... not so much ...
It definitely takes some time to adjust to the changes. Let me know how I can help you.

That being said, updating to a new platform was a necessity.

We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WTH is all this?? I feel like I logged into a billboard with ads in the sidebar and in-between posts
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback. We will be seeing weekly (approximately) updates that are largely based on member feedback. You can follow our progress with updates to the platform here: https://www.355nation.net/help/releases/

That being said, this site is supported by ads. As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here. As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

We are working with our development teams to also introduce a new premium membership for purchase in the coming months that will allow members to view the site ad-free if that interests you.

- Cricket

1 - 20 of 88 Posts