Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Administrator
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
OK , everything you just showed is the EXACT reason why the site now sucks ... its a 12 step process to what used to be 1 , that is just dumb and what people are complaining about , like I said before , EASY NAVIGATION is the most important issue with me , I could care less about security (I do not update windows just for that reason , the more you update the more you are open to the latest virus/spyware , if you do not update at all , guess what , you don't get them because the hackers are focused on the new crap and don't code for the old ...problem solved , I actually worked directly with Microsoft Techs in getting my Windows 10 to not update anymore (its a almost impossible task as it is built into the software to update no matter what you want) ....... so Security is at the bottom of my experience priorities , but being able to simply navigate a site without clicking on 12 things to get where I used to go with 1 click is just absurd ......I don't want to "get used to it" it sucks and is redundantly annoying to have to do so many things to go to what was available easily on the main forum page before , it was all there and all worked fine , sure it loaded slow , but I have crappy satellite so it doesn't matter , it always loads slow , even this new garbage loads just the same , so the only thing I got out of the "upgrade" was frustration ......

Here is a idea I bet no one there thought of ..... Put BOTH sites up for a month , and watch the traffic (have a entry link that says , go here or go there) ..... watch the traffic and I will bet the old site will get the majority of the traffic once everyone compares the 2 ...... I am serious .... I know where I would be spending my time , and its not this version ....Then you can't try to "convert" us on something we clearly do not like because the traffic will give the true feelings of the patrons here ...... you know the horse and water thing ??? well , this site is that watering hole , and the water tastes like septic tank water now ..... and I won't drink toilet water no matter what filter you funnel it thru ... its still crappy water .... follow ???

From what I see people are not happy ...that should be obvious . if its not , then nothing we say will matter and we are wasting our time complaining .... remember , The Customer Is ALWAYS Right , this is not feedback , this is downright disapproval of the change ..... if the software used to run this new platform can't do what the old one did and functioned like , then you just wasted your money on a fancy bottle of septic water .... just sayin .... if it looks and functioned exactly like it did before , I have no issues ... but this is just crap .... you can mold crap however you like , but in the end it still smells like crap ... this format needs to be put on the webmasters porch in a bag and lit ....maybe he will get the hint then ...

Why am I so upset .... because I used to enjoy coming here ..... this "upgrade" just completely ruined that experience because whoever thought it was a good thing , obviously did not frequent this site and have to navigate thru the stupidity it just became ..... That is why I am so upset over this .......

No , drop menus
No , Go here and click this to go there and click that
No , get used to it
The old site was 1,0000 times better in every way FOR THE USER experience , which is what SHOULD matter ..

I am willing to take the chance that someone will try to steal my identity (they wont get much) over having a crappy website to struggle to navigate thru ..... there should not be a learning curve if the webmaster has a clue what they are doing , it should look the same , function the same , and be better not worse , this is worse than one of those Go Daddy sites now .... its a joke to think this was a improvement in any way whatsoever ......

As soon as it looks and works exactly as the old platform ... Then you can say it was a upgrade ..... this was 20 steps back and fell down the stairs ....
I have been working with the transitioning of our sites to the new platform since May of this year.

Here is what I have found. People hate change until they learn how to use the new platform. Within a few weeks, members begin to adjust, just like I did. Within 30-60 days, the traffic begins increasing over previous levels.

We are actively working on improving navigation for the members. It won't happen overnight, but week by week with the updates, we will get there.

- Cricket

·
Administrator
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
How To Find Conversations (Private Messages)

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “conversations”.

There is no limit to the number of conversations (PMs) that you can have.

- Cricket

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been working with the transitioning of our sites to the new platform since May of this year.

Here is what I have found. People hate change until they learn how to use the new platform. Within a few weeks, members begin to adjust, just like I did. Within 30-60 days, the traffic begins increasing over previous levels.

We are actively working on improving navigation for the members. It won't happen overnight, but week by week with the updates, we will get there.

- Cricket

No .... People hate change when its worse than it was . people hate change when its a actual downgrade from what it was ... People hate change when it did not better the situation but made it worse ...People hate change when others tell them to adapt to the crappy change...... THAT is what people think . not what you mentioned , unless it is EXACTLY the way it was , then I will not like it at all ... nor by the looks of responses , do others , they are wanting their Memberships back .... That says you are not listening .... you can't force people to like a crappy downgrade from what it was ...you just can't , it does not work that way .....

The only one's transitioning here is the staff .... the public is really annoyed with the change and feel they have been undermined without any say in the matter ... then when they are told "tell us how you feel about the new format" . we tell you and no one listens ..... we don't want it to change over months ...... it should not have been touched at all until the new format was as good and easy to navigate as the old one .... its not even close , and it now takes several steps to do what once took 1 .... how do you or anyone else expect us to "adapt"..... sorry . not buying it . you need to accept that this was a failure and go back how it was and leave it at that .... you will not increase traffic , you are already losing it ....is that not enough of a sign that this was not the way to go ???? , your name is appropriate , because that is what its going to be like around here soon ..... Crickets..... just sayin ... if that is the goal then carry on ......

·
Administrator
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Respectfully, returning to the old platform is not an option. I mentioned earlier in the thread why a change was needed.

I am truly sorry you are unhappy with the update. A solid forum community has never been about the platform though. It is about the members who share tips, ideas, and more, and along the way, true friendships are built. Just my 2 cents.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
We posted announcements regarding the upcoming new platform.

Sometimes there simply isn't an option when it comes to upgrading a site. This was one of those times.

- Cricket
Well it is simply one of those times for me to exit after eight great years. Thanks for nothing! Good bye to all the folks here. It WAS real for 8 + years. See you somewhere else maybe, but won't be here. If you need information on The Central Florida Super Meet or The South East Super Meet, find the event on Facebook. It will all be there! But it ain't going to be here! Good night and Goodbye! DigEm is out!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I suspect there will be more lurking and less posting in here for a while.
No doubt a simple process has been complicated.
Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
It takes some getting used to. It takes time to relearn how to do some thing. I have been on the receiving end of many mandatory roll outs. This is in my work environment and not on a forum. I'm talking complete software changes with little to 0 training. You just have to dig in and figure it out. Sink or swim...

Anyone who was a regular member, and used the "New Posts" button, would have seen the communications on the change over. We voiced our concerns and braced for the inevitable. Now that it's done... it took all of 15 minutes, with a positive attitude, to figure things out. Not everyone will be happy. That's impossible to do. There is a transition period where issues get identified and resolved. Time WILL tell and one of the biggest factors how quickly the issues are resolved. The other is how much support is received during the transition period. So far, issues are being looked at quickly and support has been very quick. Give the new system a chance. Take ownership in understanding that it will be up to each user to take the time to relearn how things function. Ask questions when you get stuck and be patient.

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
Support was rather slow on cfans... responses were quick... but it was always " we are working on it" ect...

Getting the advanced search sorted out took over a month I think and a lot of members and all the mods except me bailed. Other requested changes like editing sub forum titles so they fit on a phone screen and would be more understandable to members were flat out denied telling me "it's not possible ".... how is editing a sub forum title not possible? So I spend a lot of time on cfans just moving threads to their proper sections because most cant read the entire title of the sub forum. Titles here are shorter and easily understood, was hoping cfans could be edited to be the same... but no

Pretty sure cfans was the test forum for this platform and requested changes will be handled faster here

·
Administrator
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Support was rather slow on cfans... responses were quick... but it was always " we are working on it" ect...

Getting the advanced search sorted out took over a month I think and a lot of members and all the mods except me bailed. Other requested changes like editing sub forum titles so they fit on a phone screen and would be more understandable to members were flat out denied telling me "it's not possible ".... how is editing a sub forum title not possible? So I spend a lot of time on cfans just moving threads to their proper sections because most cant read the entire title of the sub forum. Titles here are shorter and easily understood, was hoping cfans could be edited to be the same... but no

Pretty sure cfans was the test forum for this platform and requested changes will be handled faster here
Feel free to contact me directly on cfans so I can take a look at (and assist) with this issue.

- Cricket

·
Registered
93 Posts
It takes some getting used to. It takes time to relearn how to do some thing. I have been on the receiving end of many mandatory roll outs. This is in my work environment and not on a forum. I'm talking complete software changes with little to 0 training. You just have to dig in and figure it out. Sink or swim...

Anyone who was a regular member, and used the "New Posts" button, would have seen the communications on the change over. We voiced our concerns and braced for the inevitable. Now that it's done... it took all of 15 minutes, with a positive attitude, to figure things out. Not everyone will be happy. That's impossible to do. There is a transition period where issues get identified and resolved. Time WILL tell and one of the biggest factors how quickly the issues are resolved. The other is how much support is received during the transition period. So far, issues are being looked at quickly and support has been very quick. Give the new system a chance. Take ownership in understanding that it will be up to each user to take the time to relearn how things function. Ask questions when you get stuck and be patient.
OR ... They could have made the "new system" look and function exactly like the old system and there would not need be anyone "transitioning" to anything , because it should not have changed the way it functioned or looked ..... My point is , the "new" system is not as good as the old one because they/you are saying it can't work/look like the old one .... well then that means , whether you want to admit it or not , that the "new" system is in fact inferior to the old if it can't replicate something that has been around for 10 years or your webmaster needs to find a career he is actually good at , because this obviously is not it something he excels at ........... in other words , the new system is crap as I keep mentioning if it does not have the capability to replicate what was here and worked well for EVERYONE , and there is no reason (other than pride) that you can not revert back , and/or open back up the old one along with this and watch traffic so you will be proven WRONG , and that for the most part , no one likes the new format/style/look/function/ redundancy that the "new" format has been reduced to ..... . if it threatens your viewer numbers , then anyone with more sense than pride would go , ooops , sorry we messed up and will put it back the way it was or keep the old one up till we fix this mess that should not have been released the way it is , or at all if this is the best it can do .. .... instead you just said ... Oh your leaving . have a nice life (this was just done to DigEm) in not so many words ....... You ask for input , we give it and its "too bad , deal with it" ........ that is the overall response I see here ..... "you need to adapt" .... ummmm no we don't , you need to listen to the people that participate here , and read your adds that pay your bills ...... The point is , what it looks and functions like matters more to the majority here than you care to admit , and is a reason for people to leave , and a reason for people to voice their ignored complaints , because IF you were listening , the old site would be up and running till you either do the new one right , or leave the old one and figure out how to do your security stuff to it ....

If you do not want our input , then you should not have asked for it ...... Just Deal With It does not fly for most people , and I would bet the traffic has already started to dwindle , and will continue till either the doors close ,,, or you guys come to your senses and fix the mess you made by either putting the old site back up till this botched mess is presentable and works and looks like the old site , or just putting the old site back up and scrapping this garbage and learning from your mistakes to keep what patrons you have left that have not disappeared already , as it looks like they are leaving daily , saying you can't go back , is complete BS and everyone knows it ..... its real simple ..... we don't want excuses ... we want a site we can navigate like the old one ....we do not work for you , we don't have to do as you command as far as "deal with it" we can voice our concerns , which should have already been addressed , or people will leave and go elsewhere taking their info with them ...... it's not that hard to figure out ......if it is , then this place WAS a good source for info ..... now.... its too much effort to find it and not worth the completely unnecessary fixing of what was not broken in the first place ... What ? , do you have Microsoft employees running this place ?? that is what it seems like now ......... Yea people have to adapt sometimes to change , I did it with CD's and Cassettes from 8 track .... but that was a positive change and made things better ... this.... not so much.... this is a major downgrade and we should not need to "adapt" to something that is worse than what was ....period ....

·
Administrator
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
OR ... They could have made the "new system" look and function exactly like the old system and there would not need be anyone "transitioning" to anything , because it should not have changed the way it functioned or looked ..... My point is , the "new" system is not as good as the old one because they/you are saying it can't work/look like the old one .... well then that means , whether you want to admit it or not , that the "new" system is in fact inferior to the old if it can't replicate something that has been around for 10 years or your webmaster needs to find a career he is actually good at , because this obviously is not it something he excels at ........... in other words , the new system is crap as I keep mentioning if it does not have the capability to replicate what was here and worked well for EVERYONE , and there is no reason (other than pride) that you can not revert back , and/or open back up the old one along with this and watch traffic so you will be proven WRONG , and that for the most part , no one likes the new format/style/look/function/ redundancy that the "new" format has been reduced to ..... . if it threatens your viewer numbers , then anyone with more sense than pride would go , ooops , sorry we messed up and will put it back the way it was or keep the old one up till we fix this mess that should not have been released the way it is , or at all if this is the best it can do .. .... instead you just said ... Oh your leaving . have a nice life (this was just done to DigEm) in not so many words ....... You ask for input , we give it and its "too bad , deal with it" ........ that is the overall response I see here ..... "you need to adapt" .... ummmm no we don't , you need to listen to the people that participate here , and read your adds that pay your bills ...... The point is , what it looks and functions like matters more to the majority here than you care to admit , and is a reason for people to leave , and a reason for people to voice their ignored complaints , because IF you were listening , the old site would be up and running till you either do the new one right , or leave the old one and figure out how to do your security stuff to it ....

If you do not want our input , then you should not have asked for it ...... Just Deal With It does not fly for most people , and I would bet the traffic has already started to dwindle , and will continue till either the doors close ,,, or you guys come to your senses and fix the mess you made by either putting the old site back up till this botched mess is presentable and works and looks like the old site , or just putting the old site back up and scrapping this garbage and learning from your mistakes to keep what patrons you have left that have not disappeared already , as it looks like they are leaving daily , saying you can't go back , is complete BS and everyone knows it ..... its real simple ..... we don't want excuses ... we want a site we can navigate like the old one ....we do not work for you , we don't have to do as you command as far as "deal with it" we can voice our concerns , which should have already been addressed , or people will leave and go elsewhere taking their info with them ...... it's not that hard to figure out ......if it is , then this place WAS a good source for info ..... now.... its too much effort to find it and not worth the completely unnecessary fixing of what was not broken in the first place ... What ? , do you have Microsoft employees running this place ?? that is what it seems like now ......... Yea people have to adapt sometimes to change , I did it with CD's and Cassettes from 8 track .... but that was a positive change and made things better ... this.... not so much.... this is a major downgrade and we should not need to "adapt" to something that is worse than what was ....period ....
Respectfully, at no time have I asked anyone to just deal with it. That's not who I am as a person. :)

Your feedback has been passed on to the team.

We will continue to see weekly updates that are largely based on user feedback.

- Cricket

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts

I'm not as polite as Cricket. Lol

I would ask that you do as I, and many others, are doing. Dealing with it...

In your opinion it is a downgrade. In other's it isn't. Mine included... I had no choice in the matter. Same as you.

You seem to be adapting well enough to continue to argue the inferiority over the old. I imagine that behind the scenes it is more feature packed and secure than the original.

When a cell phone manufacturer stops supporting a device you own, forcing you to upgrade, do you trash your phone and never upgrade? No, you moan and groan and ultimately succumb to the newer model that works on their upgraded network and learn how to use and adapt.

When you completely understand that this upgrade isnt reverting no matter how vocal you are, you can start enjoying the new and even assisting on finding things that need/could be tweaked. Then provide that feedback in a constructive manner. Much more appealing than rant after rant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not as polite as Cricket. Lol

I would ask that you do as I, and many others, are doing. Dealing with it...

In your opinion it is a downgrade. In other's it isn't. Mine included... I had no choice in the matter. Same as you.

You seem to be adapting well enough to continue to argue the inferiority over the old. I imagine that behind the scenes it is more feature packed and secure than the original.

When a cell phone manufacturer stops supporting a device you own, forcing you to upgrade, do you trash your phone and never upgrade? No, you moan and groan and ultimately succumb to the newer model that works on their upgraded network and learn how to use and adapt.

When you completely understand that this upgrade isnt reverting no matter how vocal you are, you can start enjoying the new and even assisting on finding things that need/could be tweaked. Then provide that feedback in a constructive manner. Much more appealing than rant after rant.

Actually , no I do not give in and get a new phone , I keep using the old one till it no longer functions , I don't need the latest and greatest , that is why I drove the same Toyota for 21 years and why I have a 2005 truck instead of a 2019 ,That , and I cant afford a new one .... And I am giving feedback in a constructive manner . I nor do most people posting like the "new" format .... no one here seems to care because whatever lame excuse for not reverting back to something superior is easier than actually flipping a switch and using the old platform . because the people in charge don't seem to care about what WE think , by the obvious excuses as to why you can't go back when in fact it would be easier than fixing this mess ...... I rant because it sucks and is a pain to navigate ... it was not before ... but no one here seems to care about anything except security . what are you trying to secure , the accounts of the 3 people that will be left after everyone gets tired of searching for stuff that was right there and easily accessed with 1 click instead of 3 or 4 ??

Navigation is way more important to most users than security , All we want is to get from point A to B as easily as possible , the new site prevents that and actually does the opposite ..... so yea , I am not happy , I saw a member saying he has been here 8 years and is leaving because of the change , and you guys did not bat a eye . you could care less , and that is just as bad as trying to force us to use this botched attempt at a hack job , and is a far cry from what it was before , its not even in the same ................. you know what , its not worth trying to explain it anymore ... you don't get it and don't want to listen , or don't care , or both , either way , I will be here less or maybe not at all anymore ..... So if this is the goal with this "change" is driving everyone away , your doing a bang up job !!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
Actually , no I do not give in and get a new phone , I keep using the old one till it no longer functions , I don't need the latest and greatest , that is why I drove the same Toyota for 21 years and why I have a 2005 truck instead of a 2019 ,That , and I cant afford a new one .... And I am giving feedback in a constructive manner . I nor do most people posting like the "new" format .... no one here seems to care because whatever lame excuse for not reverting back to something superior is easier than actually flipping a switch and using the old platform . because the people in charge don't seem to care about what WE think , by the obvious excuses as to why you can't go back when in fact it would be easier than fixing this mess ...... I rant because it sucks and is a pain to navigate ... it was not before ... but no one here seems to care about anything except security . what are you trying to secure , the accounts of the 3 people that will be left after everyone gets tired of searching for stuff that was right there and easily accessed with 1 click instead of 3 or 4 ??

Navigation is way more important to most users than security , All we want is to get from point A to B as easily as possible , the new site prevents that and actually does the opposite ..... so yea , I am not happy , I saw a member saying he has been here 8 years and is leaving because of the change , and you guys did not bat a eye . you could care less , and that is just as bad as trying to force us to use this botched attempt at a hack job , and is a far cry from what it was before , its not even in the same ................. you know what , its not worth trying to explain it anymore ... you don't get it and don't want to listen , or don't care , or both , either way , I will be here less or maybe not at all anymore ..... So if this is the goal with this "change" is driving everyone away , your doing a bang up job !!!!!
Hey, I hope you stick it out. I'm not going anywhere. As previously stated, we are all in the same boat. We didnt have any approval over the owners of the site making changes. It was announced and communicated. It was even postponed at least once. My bet is that it was an attempt to not go live without everything functioning mostly right. I also hope that @DigEm chooses to one day come back. I'm big on not holding grudges and welcoming individuals back no matter the reason for leaving. The mods are 100% unpaid help and assist out of a passion for the platform. I'm not perfect and I'm sure all of the mods would be humble enough to say they aren't perfect. I would like to see stats from the last 3 months and stats from the next 3 months on member and non member usage. I know the activity wasn't what it used to be. A lot of folks have transitioned into the Facebook group more.

To write it off when it's just been rolled out is foolish. I'm willing to help anyone I can in navigating and learning. Of course, understand that I have had a limited time exposed to the new workings just like anyone else. I also have a full time job, a side job, and a family with 2 young kids that keep ke super busy. So I am not always available right away. But I do my best. I specialize in figuring out new platforms and training individuals on their specific roles. It's what I do at work every time we switch from one ERP to another. I had to learn a product called Solumina and create work instructions for our shop floor users in 3 days. I've also had to learn SAP in an short time frame. I've also had to learn Epicor as I directly assisted in the data mapping and migration and subsequent roll out in 3 months from nothing to flip the switch and function on the new system. I know the different levels of frustration from team members in the workforce. I've had a guy tell me "I'm not using this $&@%, your stupid". I told them to give it a chance, don't shoot the messenger, and work with me. I made myself available and we worked through the learning curve. Now that individual is one of the 1st guys willing to learn the next ERP. He still doesnt know how to use a computer like most kids now days, but the point is that he has seen his skills improve and he understands what it takes to be successful. The roll outs I have been involved in at work are all mandatory and nothing we could say would change the decision makers minds. Suck it up and learn quick is all I know.

When you say you're doing a bang up job at getting people to leave, keep in mind that my position choosing to learn the new with a positive attitude is no different than your position. It's all a matter of choice. Like I said, I hope you choose to stick it out. I'm not forcing anyone to throw in the towel. They make that decision for themselves. It's not that I don't care, I do. However, knowing an individual well enough to know nothing you say or do will change their mind in the moment is what keeps me from trying to convince them more than once when noone is paid to stay like in a working environment.

Trying to customize a system to meet the visual and functionality requirements of an old system does more negative than positive. You lose functionality due to the customizations. You ensure instability due to not seeing every possible outcome in code conflicting with other code. You also typically dont have access to the core logic when you want to make a customization that goes against the core functionality. That's why every software manufacturer attempts to get the client to stay as close to Out of Box as possible. To ensure smooth transitions into future upgrades and less time spent of reapplying customizations to future releases that may or may not be compatible with any custom code that's been written.

End users really dont realize what it takes to transition. Sometimes it's hard to communicate what it takes in a manner that they will understand.

Ok, I'm done with the extended rant. I apologize for that. There is always the doubts when transitioning. Everyone keeping as much of a positive attitude and a willingness to work together will make the transition easier and more fruitful.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts