Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sounds like something internal to me!

You can get a stethoscope for pretty cheap. Or just a long rod, metal works best. Place the rod or stethoscope on random parts of the engine and listen for when it is loudest. Use extreme caution when checking pulleys. Of course you want to put the stethoscope on the mounting bolt for the pulley, not the pulley itself. Also be very careful not to interfere with the spinning fan.

A long screwdriver will also work well. Just put on your common sense hat when doing this and don't lose a hand/finger/arm.

You can try to listen to the block. The head. Pulleys. Anyplace where you think a rattle is coming from.

Also, if you wear jewelery it is advisable to remove all jewelery so it's not dangling into the engine bay. Same for loose fitting clothing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does it only do this at idle or once you start moving it stops? I had a similar noise on my camaro once i started going over 15 mph it went away ended up being a cracked flex plate

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Might be the power steering pump....some of them have weak bearings/ I have heard of some going from a whine or noise to complete failure.

Check your power steering fluid as a cheap diagnostic.

How many miles on your truck and has the power steering fluid ever been flush? If its high mileage and never been flushed.......there is a decent chance thats it.

NOTE: I'm at work, so no youtubey videos for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. The sound is normally when I turn on the vehicle and doesn't stop till I turn it off. The sound does fade out on occasion at idle (not often) but the second I start revving the engine the sound comes back. Is the steering pump on the left side of the engine, it is noticeably coming from the left side of the engine (passenger side).

I have a drivetrain warranty on the vehicle and some other things they need to fix as well so I'm gonna give it to them and see what they say.

The truck only has 52000 miles.

G

·
0 Posts
I see that you awesome forum members are already stepping in and helping you figure out what is causing the weird noise you are hearing from your Truck, snaveevans. I know it can be frustrating when you can't figure it out. If you have any lingering questions or concern, please feel free to contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Passenger side is right side.

These guys must have a better ear than I do. It sounds like an internal engine rattle before a pulley to my ears.

Get it in under warranty if you can't isolate it...and don't start working on it yourself first because from the eyes of a warranty writer, you damaged it by working on it because you aren't a certified mechanic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yay my bad, been busy with work and school.
It was the serpentine tensioner so they replaced it and the belt. The bearing was shot do it was rattling back and forth.

The replaced my cv axles cause the boots broke. Yesterday I noticed one of the boots had already broken again. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might need to lift my truck more. The cv angles are declined from the wheel to the diff. Like this \__/ but obviously not to that extent I'll post pic soon. To clarify

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
How is your truck currently lifted? If you have a torsion bar crank, have you lowered your differential?

What size tires do you have, trying to get a relative proportion to the lift based on tire size. Looks like significant fender gaps, but maybe not if the tires aren't too big.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I see that you awesome forum members are already stepping in and helping you figure out what is causing the weird noise you are hearing from your Truck, snaveevans. I know it can be frustrating when you can't figure it out. If you have any lingering questions or concern, please feel free to contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Is that all you got Jen T

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have suspension Maxx's keys and 1.5" body lift with longer shackles in the back. I have a pic but can't add it on my phone. So I'll add it when I get to a computer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yay my bad, been busy with work and school.
It was the serpentine tensioner so they replaced it and the belt. The bearing was shot do it was rattling back and forth.

The replaced my cv axles cause the boots broke. Yesterday I noticed one of the boots had already broken again. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might need to lift my truck more. The cv angles are declined from the wheel to the diff. Like this \__/ but obviously not to that extent I'll post pic soon. To clarify

Good to know:th_woot: mine is almost due for replacement makes some noises on cold starts goes away after warm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts