Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please welcome our newest Site Sponsor - Diode Dynamics!

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Do they have a website? What do they sell? Why should I buy from Diode Dynamics over a competitor? Do they offer a discount to Nation members? Is there a specific point of contact within the organization to whom we can send messages or requests?

BTW, Welcome, Diode Dynamics, we're glad to have your sponsorship.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
^^^ good questions ^^^

And :welcome2:

·
Site Sponsor
228 Posts
We are very pleased to be a part of this community! I look forward to becoming an active, helpful member of this forum and getting to know all of you better.

I appreciate all of your support for Diode Dynamics, and I am excited to show you the products we carry

Please feel free to contact us at anytime with any lighting related questions. Whether you are inquiring about our products or just want to learn more about lighting in general, we are here to help.

Click here to learn more about automotive lighting: Research

Be sure to follow us on social media for sales and product updates!
Instagram: @diodedynamics
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DiodeDynamics

Nick C.
Sales Manager
Diode Dynamics
(314) 205-3033
[email protected]

·
Site Sponsor
228 Posts
From what I can tell from their website it's that it's all China bulbs and light strips you can get on eBay for way less. I hope they offer a discount.
That's the kind of common misconception I hope to clarify for members here on the forum. Although some LEDs may be similar in appearance, there are big differences in terms of brightness, quality, reliability, construction, components etc.

We design all of our replacement lighting here in St. Louis, and measure all of it to provide 100% accurate information.

Most lighting vendors will provide an arbitrary figure provided by their manufacturer and not take any steps to ensure that information is accurate (which it usually isn't).

Aside from carrying great products (more to come), we also focus on educating our fellow enthusiasts about lighting technology. Check out our research page to learn more: Research

BTW, the average LED from eBay will have a failure rate upwards of 40% and will use well-known names like CREE, Samsung, Panasonic etc.. to trick U.S. buyers into thinking they are buying a brand name product at an low price.

Nick C.

·
Site Sponsor
228 Posts
You design it there, where is it built, where do the actual pieces of material come from?
It's designed here in St. Louis, and manufactured to our specifications overseas. There isn't a company in the U.S. that produces their own LEDs. Putco has a LED planting equipment, but they don't manufacture the components here. Even Rigid "assembles" their lighting products here in the U.S. but doesn't manufacture the actual components

Nick C.

·
Site Sponsor
228 Posts
I'm Paul, owner of Diode.

We actually do some manufacturing at our facility. Assembly (not the same thing) is completed here in St. Louis, as well as Taiwan, Japan, and China. These days, just like your truck, we could look at "% of parts sourced from USA." Since we use quality USA-made CREE chips (LOTS of knockoffs on eBay, watch out) you could say, on a dollar basis, most of our bulbs are around 60% sourced from USA (just a ballpark, I haven't done the calculation).

With globalization today, it's not really a cut and dry matter, but we are doing the best we can to manufacture as much as we can here in the USA. We have hired 10 people in the past year, and we're currently trying to purchase equipment needed to manufacture more here in St. Louis. If machinery was cheap like it was in China, you could bet we would make everything here! It's not the labor cost any more, like most people assume. Our new line of light bars will be made in USA, and we'll be hiring at least 5 more fulltime people at the end of the year to do the assembly.

As you've seen, we are not the lowest-price provider. Why? We aren't making more money, I can tell you that! Our bulbs cost more, because they use quality components, and are carefully designed electrically by myself and others here- they are not your dozen-for-a-dollar china special, even though they often look the same. Our products will actually last more than a few months. We do not simply resell garbage from the cheapest supplier.

With our design and engineering staff, I like to think we do things right. We are not a fly-by-night, random importer like most lighting companies out there. We invest in our people and our community. As a business owner, I want to employ as many people as I can right here in America. I'm from St. Louis, Missouri, not the west coast, where quick importing thrives. I've seen jobs come and go (InBev, anyone?). We're doing our best to build our business here.

Please just keep in mind that it's not easy to create a shift in the entire industry (like Nick said, ZERO companies make LEDs in the USA right now). Also remember that not all LEDs are created equal! All I can ask is that you keep us in mind when making your purchasing decision. We're not here to import some cheap stuff and make a quick buck. We're here to stay.

Thanks for reading.

Paul

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
So why even bother mentioning that it's designed in St. Louis? I don't see any patents applied for by your company either so you leave your designs unprotected. Sounds like they are just shipped to you from a manufacturer on alibaba. ex Universal T10 Automotive Led - Buy T10 Automotive Led,Automotive Led T10,T10 Led Automotive Product on Alibaba.com

Your heatsink technology is lacking on most bulbs you picture. If you check VLed and a few of the other bigger names in Auto LED's they incorporate a larger metallic heatsink and have much higher quality bases rather than injection molded plastic.

Sorry for being a bit of an ass, but the price you are charging is a premium for these and I just don't see the quality. The fact you offer incentives for good reviews doesn't instill much confidence either.

·
Site Sponsor
228 Posts
So why even bother mentioning that it's designed in St. Louis? I don't see any patents applied for by your company either so you leave your designs unprotected. Sounds like they are just shipped to you from a manufacturer on alibaba. ex Universal T10 Automotive Led - Buy T10 Automotive Led,Automotive Led T10,T10 Led Automotive Product on Alibaba.com

Your heatsink technology is lacking on most bulbs you picture. If you check VLed and a few of the other bigger names in Auto LED's they incorporate a larger metallic heatsink and have much higher quality bases rather than injection molded plastic.

Sorry for being a bit of an ass, but the price you are charging is a premium for these and I just don't see the quality. The fact you offer incentives for good reviews doesn't instill much confidence either.
There's no patents on Coca-cola, either. Patents are of little use in this industry (replacement LED bulbs), due to the fast-changing technology and near-zero enforceability. I mentioned that they were designed here because that is a HUGE difference- most bulbs are electrically designed in China, and never tested in a car. We design them to be used in cars, which means they operate at much higher specifications. Big difference when you actually design the bulbs with the vehicle in mind, rather than just putting something together on the bench with a perfect 12V power supply.

Do you have any type of qualifications or credentials that would allow you to comment on the exterior design of an LED bulb? Or are you just making assumptions? Our bulbs are designed with sufficient heatsinking for the intended applications. VLEDs uses plenty of inject molded bases, I'm not sure what you're talking about? Jake over at VLEDs uses many of the same manufacturers as us, and I hate to break it to you, but we are a much bigger operation than them. They are more well-known in the truck industry since they started there.

As I just said above, we do not just buy random products from Alibaba. If you don't believe me, that's fine, as I am clearly not going to convince you otherwise here. Please read about LED design if you are interested in what differentiates our products from the bargain-bin at alibaba. I'd encourage you to check out our products in person should you ever have the opportunity.

Also, if you think our prices are bad, you haven't strayed far enough from eBay... check out Oracle. We're actually quite middle-of-the-road in terms of pricing. The "cheap" LED companies and ebay sellers have much higher margins than we do.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
94 Posts
Paul-

I've only been a part of these forums for a short time but here's what I've noticed will drive business here. If you are confident in your product, reach out to some of the top contributors on our forum and see if they would do a side by side comparison of your product and some "cheap ebay bulbs". Granted you might have to give a small amount of product away from free but the returns would be worth it in the end. There is a community here with a ton of trust and if one of our trusted members says you're good then the orders will roll in.

(As much as I like free stuff, I would not be a good choice for this because, even though I'm an electrical engineer, I have not established my name in this community yet.)

Just my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.

Kyle

·
Site Sponsor
228 Posts
Paul-

I've only been a part of these forums for a short time but here's what I've noticed will drive business here. If you are confident in your product, reach out to some of the top contributors on our forum and see if they would do a side by side comparison of your product and some "cheap ebay bulbs". Granted you might have to give a small amount of product away from free but the returns would be worth it in the end. There is a community here with a ton of trust and if one of our trusted members says you're good then the orders will roll in.

(As much as I like free stuff, I would not be a good choice for this because, even though I'm an electrical engineer, I have not established my name in this community yet.)

Kyle
Thanks for the advice- we're currently very busy making a move into a new building over the next few weeks, but afterwards, we'll likely consider that in order to establish ourselves better. Products speak for themselves in the end!

Too risky for you to do it anyway. As an electrical engineer, you might have a heart attack over the solder joints on the eBay bulbs ;)

Paul

·
the guy that always on
3,236 Posts
Paul-

Kyle
This guy knows his stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
Welcome to the site, I look forward to seeing what you guys have to offer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the advice- we're currently very busy making a move into a new building over the next few weeks, but afterwards, we'll likely consider that in order to establish ourselves better. Products speak for themselves in the end!

Too risky for you to do it anyway. As an electrical engineer, you might have a heart attack over the solder joints on the eBay bulbs ;)

Paul
Haha... I can agree with that. We build everything in house here but I'm guilty of trying to save money and ordering overseas just to get stuff and have to take it all apart to fix broken joints, lifted pads and cold solder joints. The amount of flux left on a lot of those boards is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts