Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok when i get back im looking at buying a welder. (doing some body work to the truck:naughty:)

problem is i dont know shit about welders. some say you dont need gas others say you do.

what i do know is i want a mig welder

can you guys give me pro's and cons' also share any knoledge you have about welders and or welding.

is this a good welder for doing some body modifcations to the 355?

MIG-100 FLUX CORE WELDING MACHINE NO GAS WELDER WIRE - eBay (item 320218406045 end time Feb-21-08 12:42:46 PST)

·
Registered
587 Posts
that thing is a clone of a speedway welder, the speedway was shit right out of the box. i would not get that. if you want a good welder go with a name brand, for your purpose id look at a lincoln weld-pac 100hd as it comes as a flux core wire feed but can be upgraded later to mig. that way you dont have to jump right into buying a bottle and all that.

the only reason i recommend the lincoln over other small migs is they have a cold tip(electrically dead untill you pull the trigger) where as others like the one that you posted are not they are hot all the time. that is definately not what you want when doing bodywork.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
that thing is a clone of a speedway welder, the speedway was shit right out of the box. i would not get that. if you want a good welder go with a name brand, for your purpose id look at a lincoln weld-pac 100hd as it comes as a flux core wire feed but can be upgraded later to mig. that way you dont have to jump right into buying a bottle and all that.

the only reason i recommend the lincoln over other small migs is they have a cold tip(electrically dead untill you pull the trigger) where as others like the one that you posted are not they are hot all the time. that is definately not what you want when doing bodywork.
i agree with fixitman, you should get a cold tip one, especailly for bodywork. i think you should probably get a bottle of argon and some .023 wire for those handles. make sure you practice a lot first before you go to use it on your pride and joy though. the best option is a tig welder, but those are very expensive. just be careful and you'll have no problems with it.

·
3'' of glory
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh i plan on planing around well before the tip touches my truck.

no its not for the handles. i want to change up my rearend.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Man...I fuking wish I knew how to weld. Is it hard? Or mostly technique?
it can be challenging depending on what positions you're trying to weld in, but practice makes perfect (or really good in this case). thinner metals can be a bitch because they are prone to warping. aluminum is a bitch to mig and tricky at first with tig. steel is pretty easy, especailly if you're working with about 14 gauge and above. you might have to make a few passes with real thick materials to get good penetration, but all in all, it just takes some time to get good at. it's fun to learn too. just be careful of flash burn, it sucks big time. once you get the hang of it, technique doesn't really come into play very much; you're either lefty or righty.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I,ve had a Mig now for about 10 years, Duty cycle is important. This one has a 10% Duty cycle so you will spend about 9 minutes waiting for the thing to cool for every minute of welding. Just my opinion and not to trash anyones experience but the least you should consider is around 185 Amp Fan cooled gas/no gas. You will kick your but a year or two down the road when your skill set gets better and you will have to near give away your welder to help offset the price of a bigger one. Your probably in this automotive hobby for the long haul aren't you.
Miller - Welding Equipment - MIG/TIG/Stick Welders & Plasma Cutting is a great site.
My current welder is 230 amp with 60% at 180 if I recall. I can weld up to1/4'' with a single pass. Wishing it was bigger. Your skills will get really good as time goes by, and;
Warning; MIG WELDERS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO CAUSE FRIENDS SHOWING UP AT YOUR DOOR SPONTANEOUSLY TO HAVE THINGS REPAIRED.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
I,ve had a Mig now for about 10 years, Duty cycle is important. This one has a 10% Duty cycle so you will spend about 9 minutes waiting for the thing to cool for every minute of welding. Just my opinion and not to trash anyones experience but the least you should consider is around 185 Amp Fan cooled gas/no gas. You will kick your but a year or two down the road when your skill set gets better and you will have to near give away your welder to help offset the price of a bigger one. Your probably in this automotive hobby for the long haul aren't you.
Miller - Welding Equipment - MIG/TIG/Stick Welders & Plasma Cutting is a great site.
My current welder is 230 amp with 60% at 180 if I recall. I can weld up to1/4'' with a single pass. Wishing it was bigger. Your skills will get really good as time goes by, and;
Warning; MIG WELDERS HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO CAUSE FRIENDS SHOWING UP AT YOUR DOOR SPONTANEOUSLY TO HAVE THINGS REPAIRED.
chough, millermatic 180, chough

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I do not own a Miller either, Mine's a Hobart, the same company that makes Food Service Equipt. I guess my 2 cents was buy the best your budget will allow. You are going to find a million uses for it.
Good luck in your search.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Yeah dude Hobarts are pretty good. Fixitman talked me into getting one.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yes, I have done a lot of projects with it, my Father was in the steel business all his working life. The best hint he ever gave me was to make little "c"' shapes like you were writing them out repetively. Almost sewwing the 2 sides together. Once your friends find out you have one, a person can get prenty of practice, I can't remember how ,many mower decks, garden tools and such I fixed for people, but it helped be get my skill set up.
I am not a certified welder by no means. But I can weld patches,pipes, tire racks etc.
Just to let some of the guys out there to know, practice up and have confidence in yourself. And you will be amazed at what you can create.

·
Registered
266 Posts
dont use flux core to do sheet metal burns way to hot for this gauge use bare wire.. and yes welding takes pratice and good hand eye dexterity.. i fab and weld pressure vessles for a living i am ASME pressure vessle code certifited to weld in any position with any process at my plant.. i also will be finishin up my AWS certs as well and let me tell ya welding in the field of engineering is alot diff that weldin the frame on ur truck lol.... it took me years of school and experience to do what i do but pratice makes perfect... ya just got to learn how to understand the puddle of a weld pool thats the key to bettering your self in welding..

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
and a good helmet. if u cheap out on a welding helmet u will never get any good in my opinion, well u will just find it alot harder to learn how the weld reacts, puddle etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts