Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't sign in her much at all. Just to follow my meet posts. Decided to do some browsing today. No wonder there are only 4 or 5 folks here when I am here. Posted questions to mods and the admins that go two weeks with no response. I asked a question this morning, 5 hours ago, and no one has responded. I will be in and out to check the meet post for my CFSM meet, but do not expect me to refer anyone here or post anything else because this sucks! Tell whoever came up with this design that Dig Em, Ashley Morgan, says they are a damn blooming idiot!.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Definitely not what it used to be that for sure. It's still a great archival resource though. I switched over to ColoradoFans for most everything.

CF is dominated by 2nd Gen stuff but the guys over there are really active. The 2nd Gen owners are really keeping things busy.

The 1st Gens are old news that no one wants to hear. Sad.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
When I drop in, I click on the "NEW" circle up at the top. It shows all the threads that have been update or added to since my last visit. Maybe I'm missing something here, but is that what you're looking for?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
There is a reason a lot of old members no longer are here ......wouldn't you think that the people running this thing would get the clue??

·
Internet Troll
1,237 Posts
Not a lot going on with my truck, other than gas and maintenance. I don't check in here as often either.... I'm still driving a "stock" work truck. The only real mod is the High\Low beam done when I first bought the truck new in '09.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
There is a reason a lot of old members no longer are here .....
I miss the old members. The feel of the forum was different with them. It’s sad the new members will not get the same experience.

It’s also sad that one bad member can ruin this site. There used to be enough quality people checking in daily to offset the jerks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well the dang thing needs to be bigger, maybe a brighter color too...LOL
Thanx! Both the 3 dots and the NEW button were what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I miss the old members. The feel of the forum was different with them. It’s sad the new members will not get the same experience.

It’s also sad that one bad member can ruin this site. There used to be enough quality people checking in daily to offset the jerks.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
198 Posts
Some could have been like me, and moved on from most things 1st Gen. While I still have mine, it's basically at the "put gas in it and keep it running" stage of its life.

Mines been sitting since November with an abs issue (that I'm finally fixing this week), so I've been driving my xterra.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Some could have been like me, and moved on from most things 1st Gen. While I still have mine, it's basically at the "put gas in it and keep it running" stage of its life.

Mines been sitting since November with an abs issue (that I'm finally fixing this week), so I've been driving my xterra.
I suspect you’re right. A lot of 1st Gens are getting long in the tooth and people are moving on.

If I had another vehicle to drive I’d probably get started on my Colorado build. It has been on the drawing board for like 2 years.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
As with all electronic communications, it's hard to tell who you're dealing with, but I think a lot of the new folks on the site seem to be first-time buyers who are excited about owning their first vehicle. l may be wrong, but when I feel I have the ability to help a young guy repair, mod and take pride in his first vehicle, that's pretty exciting to me. These first gen trucks are pretty low priced

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suspect you’re right. A lot of 1st Gens are getting long in the tooth and people are moving on.

If I had another vehicle to drive I’d probably get started on my Colorado build. It has been on the drawing board for like 2 years.:rolleyes:
OH, I'm aware of how long you've been planning your build. I really look forward to finally seeing you get started on it. It will eliminate pretty much all of the weak points in the first Gen design.

As with all electronic communications, it's hard to tell who you're dealing with, but I think a lot of the new folks on the site seem to be first-time buyers who are excited about owning their first vehicle. l may be wrong, but when I feel I have the ability to help a young guy repair, mod and take pride in his first vehicle, that's pretty exciting to me. These first gen trucks are pretty low priced
Don't get me wrong, the first gens are great trucks. For my off road adventures though, I determined that an suv is a better fit. They're reliable, get good gas mileage (for a non-diesel truck), z71 comes with a rear locker, and have a decent payload.

They're not without their faults though. Electrical gremlins, hit and miss early engine issues (valve guides and such). And, aftermarket support is abysmal. That being said, if I could find a newer one with leather buckets, a v8, and lift already on it, I'd jump on it if it was a good price.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
OH, I'm aware of how long you've been planning your build. I really look forward to finally seeing you get started on it. It will eliminate pretty much all of the weak points in the first Gen design.
I'm still actively gathering parts. I got a new welder (first one was basically a toy). I've sourced a set of J10 front leaf springs. I'm really kinda stuck for some reason regarding steering. Do I use a Jeep truck steering box or try something with more support like the Toyota/Xterra?

Parts are easy. Time and money are the true issue. Oh yeah....I also want a plasma cutter. Another couple grand that's all.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
It is pretty frustrating that parts are so hard to find. I've got an exhaust manifold that is just about to break in half, and I've not been able to find one anywhere that's not cracked. I'll probably end up taking mine somewhere to be welded and hope that lasts. I've had a couple of 4.0 inline 6 Jeep Cherokees that had the same problem, and welding it usually lasted as long as i kept them. Trying to find bushings for my steering rack was pretty tough too. I ordered the parts yesterday from a company I've never heard of before, and I have not received an order confirmation yet. Hopefully it's just because it's the weekend. It was about $30 for all the mounting bushings, so hopefully I didn't get screwed! I figure I've put about 60,000 miles on a truck that I spent less than $4,000 on, and it's been incredibly dependable and has been a work horse and I've use it to haul all sorts of building materials for my job almost every day. When the materials I need can't fit in the bed, I load up the bed and attach a small utility trailer and pull that behind me too. It's been quite surprising how much this little truck will haul and pull! It's a great little truck. At 225,000 miles, it starts every morning, works all day and I don't even have any lights on the dash telling me of any problems. I love my truck, and have done a little here and there to resolve little electrical issues and other things.
Great trucks!

·
Internet Troll
1,237 Posts
Old Guy,

What made you notice the cracked exhaust manifold?

I'm smelling an exhaust smell at low speed in the cab, but no noticeable noise (ticks, pings, etc.) I'm only under the hood to check and fill the oil and other fluids.
I know there was a recall that was only good to IIRC 125,000 or 10 years. I'm well out of that range as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts