Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I had a very annoying exhaust rattle and thought I narrowed it down to the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, so I decided to take it off to see if the rattle went away. That's when I saw the cracks. It's cracked pretty bad between 2-3 and between 4-5. Trying to find a good one at a U-Pull yard is pretty tough. I've stumbled across about a half dozen that either have cracked manifolds like mine, or the engine is there, but the manifold is missing by the time I get there. As I'm sure you know the cast manifold expands and contracts with changes in temperature, so it tries to move, but can't, so it cracks. Welded pipe is able to move a little, plus it dissipates heat better, so that's the obvious choice for a replacement, but since there weren't billions of 5 cylinder Chevy motors made, they're a little pricey.
If you take your heat shield off, you'll probably see some white lines on the manifold. If you look closely, you'll notice that these are cracks that have allowed exhaust to escape.
I think the change in the sound is very gradual so it is not as noticeable as the smell.
Sorry if I've ruined your day and you find cracks too. But maybe you are like I was when I was younger and you enjoy an opportunity to find something broken just so you'll have an opportunity to work on your truck. If that's the case - you're welcome!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
My bad. I'm a bit of a rambler and got sidetracked. BTW, my first car was a Rambler! '63 Rambler American 330. I got it when I turned 16 in 1976. It was Motor Trend's car of the year in 1963. Just like the one in Third Rock From the Sun, but mine wasn't a convertible.
Oops! Did it again, didn't I.
Sorry to get this tread off track.

·
Internet Troll
1,251 Posts
I had a very annoying exhaust rattle and thought I narrowed it down to the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, so I decided to take it off to see if the rattle went away. That's when I saw the cracks. It's cracked pretty bad between 2-3 and between 4-5. Trying to find a good one at a U-Pull yard is pretty tough. I've stumbled across about a half dozen that either have cracked manifolds like mine, or the engine is there, but the manifold is missing by the time I get there. As I'm sure you know the cast manifold expands and contracts with changes in temperature, so it tries to move, but can't, so it cracks. Welded pipe is able to move a little, plus it dissipates heat better, so that's the obvious choice for a replacement, but since there weren't billions of 5 cylinder Chevy motors made, they're a little pricey.
If you take your heat shield off, you'll probably see some white lines on the manifold. If you look closely, you'll notice that these are cracks that have allowed exhaust to escape.
I think the change in the sound is very gradual so it is not as noticeable as the smell.
Sorry if I've ruined your day and you find cracks too. But maybe you are like I was when I was younger and you enjoy an opportunity to find something broken just so you'll have an opportunity to work on your truck. If that's the case - you're welcome!
Thanks. I am at the age I don't relish doing the work myself anymore.....

And now I return you to your Normal topic!!!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah, you guys have managed to just talk the complaint right out of my thread. This thread is about how the current owners have fucked up this site, not how someone looks at their truck or what they are doing to it. The whole damn point was that there was lots of regular activity even from longtime members before they changed to this stupid format and now the amount of people in here as members is at an all time low. Keep it on track please!!!!!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Even with FB etc reducing traffic I feel like the design change did cause a big drop. I know I stopped looking for a while. I used to lurk almost everyday. Of course working 50+ hrs and having almost 3 yr old twins kills my free time too lol. But I did post a while back (few month maybe) with a question and never saw any responses either so I get what you are saying

21 - 30 of 30 Posts