Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 z71 163k miles. Stock. So it snowed this morning. Long story short I got loose (in 4wd). Fought it for a while then ended up doing a 360 and went into a steep ditch kind hard (I was going 40 mph when it started). I hit the ditch square. Tried to rock it back and forth and was on my way to getting out when the front driver outter bead went. Tow truck. Spare tire. Etc. I re-inflated my tire and to my surprise it was fine. I think the bead went after I was wrenching it around trying to get out. So I put the re inflated tire on the rear and all seems ok, but I'm not 100% certain what I should look for other than obvious damage. It pulls relatively straight (I need new tires and some tie rods anyway) and no issues I can see. Any ideas?

Also...I thought I had a full size spare. Turns out it's a 235/65/15 instead of the stock 265/75/15. Found that out real fast when I put it in 4wd. Is this right or did they accidentally give me a tire for a 2wd?

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
My Z71 had the 265's on it but my spare was also a 235 with steel wheel. Never had to use it luckily. Ended up trading it with Supermod. He needed a 235 with the steel wheel for his trailer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Just bruised ego is all. I'd like to state that when I had it on the jack things looked and felt snug. Just not sure if I tweaked a control arm or something. I'm hoping since the ground is not froze, I slowed some as I approach impact, i hit square that it's not much of an issue. No airbags. Just my stuff on the front seat fell on the floor. Engine was off though after I hit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Amazing how fast shit can turn nasty on a person !!!!
Glad you and the truck came out ok....Or so it sounds...LOL

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Glad you're okay.

As for the spare tire, my 2WD has a donut that's even smaller than the stock 225s that came on my truck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sounds like you did all the normal checks and, barring any physical damage, all seems well. P235 is stock 4x4 spare so you're good there too.

Push some of the white stuff our direction...I hate MidWest "brown" XMas's. :(

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well, you say you need new tires, when you buy them, have the shop put one of your old tires on the spare, most shops will do this free if you are buying tires from them and ask nicely.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Check the upper control arm mounts. Since the alignment is adjusted there, they tend to move when you jar the front end hard. They are normally the first thing I knock loose when I wheel second common issue being bent tie rods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts