Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know what E-fan set up you guys are running. If you have any p/n's that would help me as well. Thanks.

·
0 Posts
http://store.summitracing.com/partde... &autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde... &autoview=sku

I can't recall if the 2 above fans come with a thermal switch, if they don't you will also need this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If you don't get the thermal switch your fan will be on 24/7 unless you find a viable switched power source but good luck with that because all the wires in our truck are too tiny to tap into correctly, they also can't handle the amperage that the fan pulls so you will have lots of blown fuses before you finally find a good tap. So I really recomend you get the thermal switch or get a fan that comes with one.

Edit: They re-did the product detail since I pasted those links last, both of the fans I posted come with the thermal switch.

·
Registered
321 Posts
sorry to ask such a stupid question but what is a thermal switch? and isent the stock fan on 24/7 as long as the engine is on?

·
0 Posts
sorry to ask such a stupid question but what is a thermal switch? and isent the stock fan on 24/7 as long as the engine is on?
Not a stupid question. Most engine fans don't run all the time. At highway speeds and if the engine is not a its max temp. Right around 195 or 205. Saves on gas. The Thermal switch is a temp switch. I think I got that right, if that is what you were wanting to know?
You could also call it a thermostat...same thing...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
ok, noticeable performance gain for the money or what??? can my ass dyno feel it?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
you'll mostly gain mileage in the city. you might get 5 hp on a colorado. but probably not any more than that. I wanted to do before and after tests of this mod. but I'll be doing other things at the same time so I won't be able to get data from it.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
hmm. id like to see what kind of mileage improvements are made. how much of a pita is the install?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I installed my e-fan set up yesterday,I bought a 16in pro flow fan rated at 2500 cfm and a flex a light 2 stage controller. Performance wise hard to tell, motor seems to rev quicker and run alittle cooler.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I was told it will improve the life of the water pump as well, because all of the weight that's removed from the front of it. Anyone else believe this to be true, or heard of it? :shrug:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I thought it made sense as well, but it's one of those things "It should work, in theory....." :lol:

I didn't know if it would really help, since the belt is always going to be putting tension on the bearings as well. I suppose it probably still helps some.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Rangerbob and I have the same one, I think its the same one used on the S-10. I will check the part number tonight. The one I have I got from Jegs and it can be ordered in 4 colors; red, blue, black and yellow. Mine is in Red.

Rangerbob stated that he noticed around 1.1 mpg around town and alittle in the butt dyno. The efan in noticeably louder when on too.

And yes, by going over to a efan the life of your waterpump will be extended, the timeline though is unclear. But as stated above, less wear and tear on the bearings of your waterpump. It will also allow your motor to warm up quicker. The same one Rangerbob and I have also has a relay that connects to the A/c pump and automatically kicks the fan on when the A/c is turned on. Therefore yeilding a cooler a/c when sitting in traffic. I hope this information is helpful to those of you considering this addition.

Jeremy

·
0 Posts
I just want to add something I found out today since its been insanely hot here in Phoenix...

If you get the FLX-150 and live in a hot ass climate (110+) don't plan on running the A/C during heavy traffic...that fan can't handle the heat, causes the truck to run way hot...I would recommend something with a more CFM than the FLX-150 if you live in a comparable climate to Phoenix, AZ...

I'm not saying its a bad fan, I am just saying for extreme temps it just can't handle the load of the A/C...if I run with the A/C off the fan keeps my truck cooler than the stock mechanical fan...so just keep the above in mind when shopping for a new fan...

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
How many CFM is the FLX-150?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Crazy, I would have thought that would have been enough. I guess it's just hot as a snubofanitch in Arizona.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It was 105 and 80+% humidity on Friday and I was running the fan while hauling around 5k pounds down the road. Engine was running about 4 ticks hotter than usual. But unloaded I was only a tick or two hotter than usual.

The fan does fine in the hot weather until you hit traffic. :-/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts