Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

what kind of clear coat do you like?

11K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  duck_striping 
#1 ·
which clear works best for you and why? post the brand, type, how you personally apply it, what your gun set up is and why you like it. i thought this would be a good topic to help people who where picking out what kind of clear they would like to try.

PPG dc4000 (for complete jobs)
-3 coats, one light coat and 2 heavy coats
-devilbiss plus, 1.3 tip, 45psi inlet pressure
-easy to apply, doesnt run easily, easily cut and buffed, and has hardly any orange peal when first sprayed and has a gloss like no other.

PPG omni 161 (for completes)
-3 coats, one light and 2 heavy coats
-devilbiss plus, 1.3 tip, 40psi inlet pressure
-cheaper clear but acts like one thats more expensive. great gloss, easy to cut and buff if needed... can also be used to do spot repairs but is not advised.

#2 ·
PPG Global I foget the number 161 maybe??

DC400 is really good too

Omni clear :gtfo: I wouldn't even use omni paint and clears on the custom die cast i used to paint. i hate omni :hulk: made alot of commission selling it though :lol:

#4 ·
yeah 2042 & 2002:thumbup: only used 2082 once I think i liked it but transtar :gtfo: only thing they made I like was the 1K speed sealer, I used it as etch primer a few times:lol: still looks good to this day

#6 ·
I hate all that cheap stuff omni,transtar,the dupont crap they sell at O'riley's what's it called i forget.

I hate some of the expensive stuff too like RM Diamont

#9 ·
It's actually the pressure that the clearcalls for from my gun. It's a high efficiency spray gun. It sprays very fast but lays it down like glass.

Omni clears r good when mixed and sprayed properly. Me personally I like 161 because it lasts and looks great. Easy to buff if needed also. That and the omni 260 is good too. I'm getting ready to order some clear made by southernpolyurathanes.com their clear looks amazing. Y'all should check it out!

#10 ·
Yeah Nason, that's it

The only good thing in the Omni line is MTK urathane., I love PPG but Omni is garbage.

40 PSI seems way high for an HVLP gun

#11 ·
Yeah, I try to spray at about 29-30 psi and thats high :shrug: An Iwata you can set at about 20 but the iwata, however a nice gun but it just doesn't feel right to me :shrug: for me, Devilbiss makes a great gun for the money. SATA is nice but overpriced IMO :shrug: But NO ONE can touch the Minijet :thumbup:

#13 ·
well the thing abt my plus is that it uses stronger air pressure to atomize better. it shoots super fast but very very smooth. it sprays just as fast as a satajet 3000rp but lays the clear down more like the iwata lph400lv. its a great gun. it also feels very solid unlike an iwata. to me i feel like ima break an iwata because its so lite.

but anyways... anyone tried any clears by rubber seal? it lays down thick but doesnt run easily.

#14 ·
Man, I've been trying other clears and ive found a few that I LOVE for certain things and I highly recommend trying them out.

Southern polyurethanes universal clear
- for completes... This stuff is amazing. Super high gloss, wet sands and buffs like butter, super easy to use and is hard to run. Sprays on extremely thick and the best part is that it's only 213 bucks shipped to your door for a gallon kit... And it mixes 1:1 so u get 2 sprayable gallons!!!!! Their products are all AMAZING and I highly recommend y'all trying some of their products. Customer support is also first class!!!
Home

#15 ·
Dupont 72400 (bake booth) 72200 (air dry) for regular jobs. I go for the premier glamour clear when doing show/resto's. I have used most mentioned and nothing compares to the premier line from dupont.

#16 ·
have u ever used southern polyrethanes? their top of the line clear which is their universal clear is only 213 for a gallon kit and it mixes 1 to 1 so you get 2 sprayable gallons of a clear that is the quality of ppg global, glasurit, and duponts higher end stuff for WAY WAY cheaper. ill never ever go back to any other brand when it comes to my clears unless the customer requests it. i just got done spraying my truck and im in the middle of buffing it. ive never had an easier product to work with. spraying is tricky at first but when u get used to the thickness of this stuff then its as easy as finger painting in kindergarden. plus the gloss is unreal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.