Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
get a 65e and be done better cluch packs and sun gear and get the servos and a cooler

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
alright here is what Alan over at performabuilt was explaining to me... basically the 4l60e and 4l65 and 70 are pretty much the same... it has to do more about electronics. The trans on my truck (and i verified this by checking on a connector on the trans by the servos) has a speed sensor that regular old 4l60e trans dont have. This is for 2008 and above models, hence we need a 65/70 core that does indeed have this sensor that a regular (older) 4l60e does not have / use.

anyways,

Im ordering my trans from them... i did my research and they seem to build some bad ass stuff.

this is what im getting.. only thing different about mine is that is going to have both sonnax super servos, not just one.

http://performabuilt.com/heavy hauler 700-60E.html

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
If uou want a trans try PATC. They have some stage 2 ones for our trucks.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Well as Gway as my witness somehwere after 2008 they changed all the trans wiring, sensors, internal shifting lever and valve body up. i blew my 08 trans and put a 2011 one in and it wouldnt work unless i swap all the 08 wiring,sensors, internal shifter and valve body from my 08 trans into the 2011 trans. doesnt mean its not a 4l60e but they do have there differences. i have pictures to prove all this.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
2008 was the first year change in communications systems. Transmission was still controlled by the PCM. 2009 with the addition of the v8 for an engine option changed the transmission to be controlled by a separate controller or TCM.

2007 and earlier are the same, 2008 should have a few wiring differences and the 2009+ will be a totally different control set-up.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
So wish someone would have told me this ^^^^^^^^^. I went through hell trying to figure out what was wrong but then after I did it took me about 3 hours to swap everything and it worked like a champ and with superior servos and some line pressure added it shifts like a bat out of hell.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If uou want a trans try PATC. They have some stage 2 ones for our trucks.
I already pulled the trigger with performabuilt.
now i just need to sit tight until i get that badass trans over here. lol :D

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I already pulled the trigger with performabuilt.
now i just need to sit tight until i get that badass trans over here. lol :D
no not really u need to get a trans temp gauge to keep an eye on it 175-180 is ok but any thing over that u got problem new trans fail at temps over 200 just fyi

·
Registered
641 Posts
Do the 4L60E transmissions in our trucks have a unique bellhousing bolt pattern? Since the bellhousings are not removable, does that mean they have a unique case?

How about the converter... Is it specific to the Atlas engines?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Got it. Thanks guys!

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Just wanted to add, the input shaft is different over the v8 ones as well. So if you have a v8 4l60e you will need to swap the input and bell housing and it will bolt right up.

No positive on the convertor, but I assume the atlas one must have a few differences because of the different input shaft.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no not really u need to get a trans temp gauge to keep an eye on it 175-180 is ok but any thing over that u got problem new trans fail at temps over 200 just fyi
tell me something i dont know lol.. im installing 2 gauges along with the new trans...

engine oil temp and trans temp. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts