Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newish (3 months) to the 355 world and wondering what things should be done OR should have been done. I have a 2007 Canyon, 3.7l, auto, 4WD extended cab with 157K miles. Runs well, no starting or shifting problems. I bought the truck from a reputable mechanic who took care of it for several years for the previous owner.
What I’d like to know is what are the known driveline problem areas with our trucks and what maintenance/replacement items should I be looking forward to do or looking back to see if they’ve been done.
I changed the thermostat and the purge valve shortly after buying the truck based on codes it was throwing. Plugs were reportedly changed before I bought the truck. I will change both O2 sensors soon because of an intermittent P0420 code.
Due to the Chinese virus, I’m not driving the truck much on trips, mostly grocery store/take-out meal pick-up/hardware store runs so I’m seeing mileage in the 15mpg range. I don’t know if that mileage is evidence of bad O2 sensors (no idea when/if they have been changed) or just the short, stop and go trips.
So, any suggestions or recommendations from long time, experienced owners will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Newish (3 months) to the 355 world and wondering what things should be done OR should have been done. I have a 2007 Canyon, 3.7l, auto, 4WD extended cab with 157K miles. Runs well, no starting or shifting problems. I bought the truck from a reputable mechanic who took care of it for several years for the previous owner.
What I’d like to know is what are the known driveline problem areas with our trucks and what maintenance/replacement items should I be looking forward to do or looking back to see if they’ve been done.
I changed the thermostat and the purge valve shortly after buying the truck based on codes it was throwing. Plugs were reportedly changed before I bought the truck. I will change both O2 sensors soon because of an intermittent P0420 code.
Due to the Chinese virus, I’m not driving the truck much on trips, mostly grocery store/take-out meal pick-up/hardware store runs so I’m seeing mileage in the 15mpg range. I don’t know if that mileage is evidence of bad O2 sensors (no idea when/if they have been changed) or just the short, stop and go trips.
So, any suggestions or recommendations from long time, experienced owners will be greatly appreciated.
I’ve got an ‘05 3.5L with 160,000 miles RW. On short trips at best I can get 18-19 mpg.
You might try taking throttle body off and cleaning it. I clean mine every 8000 miles.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have oversized tires, make sure you factor that into your mpg calculation.
The tires are the correct size for 4WD trucks. May need to measure the actual circumference of mine versus the “standard“ circumference but doubt it would enough to make a huge difference.
I did a mileage check on my most recent road trip and averaged 18.5 mpg with a lot of the miles at speeds above posted limits.
And, my 4.10 gearing is not the best for fuel economy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
A 10% increase in tire radius is a 10% (1.85 mile/gal in your case) increase in fuel economy. I was getting 19 on my 05 extended cab Z71 4WD in highway driving (well north of 70mph), so we're doing about the same.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Cooper Discover AT3 265/75R15s on the truck. Per the Cooper website they have a 30.55 diameter. At some point (if funds allow), I’d like to go to something larger to offset the 4.11 gearing a little. I’ll probably lose a little on low end acceleration but I don’t do a lot of drag racing.
I ordered new upstream and downstream O2 sensors and will clean the throttle body and MAF then recheck my mileage. Hope to see some improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts