Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Another day.....
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the meet i Talked about this "thing" connected to my intake and no one has it in there truck i guess only the 2007 w/3.7 have this. Take a look and maybe this why the 07 has no performance intake. I have a couple of numbers that are on on top of the "thing" hopefully one of these are part number 12610063 or 15828252 or 72262122 or 72805615. I checked these numbers but nothin came up.

intake1.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

intake4.jpg

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Its a "Smog pump" or part of the AIR system thats built into the 07's...

It makes our life 3x harder because intakes are a pain!

on the other site I have been talking with a few of the staff about how this works..

"Additionally, the 3.7L five-cylinder engine has several features that help it meet new BIN 5 emissions requirements, including a larger, close-coupled catalytic converter and A.I.R. system."

-----

The pump at the bottom is what has given me the most problems with the bull bar, as its mounted right were one of the bolt pattern's are located

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Thats what I thought it was. My friend has a s-10 and they have those also. His solenoid was rusty and gum'ed up and went bad with 60,000 miles on it. Check engine light city.

You can still make a custom intake though

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yes you can, you can even disable that whole thing with a "Blocking plate" from my understanding the 04-06 have the "Port" for it, if you look you will see a kinda diamond shape bolted on with 2 bolts, I can not confirm this, but it is also my understanding that there is no sensor on this either, aka, its just a valve.

I am looking to do an AEM on an 07, Simply replace the MAF sensor with a 04,05,or 06 (its a different bolt pattern) and then just put that smog pump pipe near the heat shield (A member all ready has done this)

·
Another day.....
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally I was pulling my hair for a while now! So it is a smog pump.
Thanks WwRGSwW:355:

Like here is canada we have to get our auto`s tested every 4 years on this air crap

X

·
0 Posts
so if we replace the stocker with a cai, we can leave this piece there and it wont hurt anything?

·
Registered
358 Posts
im not sure about our trucks but i replaced one of these on an accord. its something called an egr valve which means exhaust gas recirculation. im not positive about this but it looks exactly the same. and if anything is done the same it would set a sensor off but wat do i kno?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yes thats exactly what it is, its true name is an EGR Valve, but GM has termed it the "A.I.R." system

I have not herd any reports of it failing if you just cut the heat shield.

Just leave the hose for it sitting in the engine bay, its not like it measures anything past the big pump at the bottom..

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
EGR and AIR system are different things, both are for emissions and both were added to the '07s.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i dont kno much about it either but that cylinder looks exactly like an egr valve sensor. that cylinder is the sensor itself so anything done past that sould affect it as long as you dont restrict the flow

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i dont kno much about it either but that cylinder looks exactly like an egr valve sensor. that cylinder is the sensor itself so anything done past that sould affect it as long as you dont restrict the flow
the black cylinder is for the AIR system, the EGR valve is right above the exhaust manifold.

as far as I understand the AIR system takes fresh air and puts it into the exhaust flow and the EGR system takes exhaust gases and puts them back into the intake to be reused.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
it sounds like you could still do any intake setup you want as long as you leave that system in play (keep it flowing into the intake region.

interesting thought... run that tube over to the stock inlet in the fender and then run a "ram air" setup on that intake. that way you dont mess anything up and still get the cool clean air from that setup. just an idea since it sounds to me like "re-using" exhaust gases would be a joke.

maybe talk to someone who does PCM tuning and see if there is a way to work around this also.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
it sounds like you could still do any intake setup you want as long as you leave that system in play (keep it flowing into the intake region.

interesting thought... run that tube over to the stock inlet in the fender and then run a "ram air" setup on that intake. that way you dont mess anything up and still get the cool clean air from that setup. just an idea since it sounds to me like "re-using" exhaust gases would be a joke.

maybe talk to someone who does PCM tuning and see if there is a way to work around this also.
EGR and AIR will set off a check engine light if removed but yes, they can be disabled in the tune.

·
Registered
358 Posts
and from experience do not disable the egr valve. my friends accord would overheat in just 5 min. the egr (exhaust gas recirculation) does exactly wat the name says. it recirculates exhaust gases into the intake and cools the burn while reducing NOx emissions

1 - 20 of 54 Posts