Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got around to putting in the new speakers. It was easy, but there are some discrepancies I've found. Maybe you guys can figure this one out.

So, wiring them up... Did the back left first, everything is fine. Did the back right and noticed I've got another set of Brown/Yellow. Wat? No blue, no light blue, another set of brown and yellow... Strange. Hooked it up anyway, phase sounds right, and it fades left/right correctly. Any of you ever come across that?

The front went good, but I've got one out of phase. I'm about to go pull the door panel on the right since that is the one I switched the wire on. I've lost faith in google... Should have come here to double check the wire colors.

Ain't that some shit. Now I can't even trust the top result on google. I wonder how many people are driving around with their right front speaker out of phase?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm curious....how can you tell the front is out of phase?

Also, is the stereo a factory stereo?
Nope, radio isn't stock, but the wiring harness is correct, and it sounded right with the stock speakers.

When a speaker is out of phase the low end will sound hollow (it's actually cancelling out), or as if the stereo spread increased a lot (imagine your speakers being really far away). It's also hard to make out what's left and right because one speaker is pushing, and the out of phase speaker is pulling, hence the cancellation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What you have posted on your right front is backwards according to the wiring schematic?
Yup, thanks to the result my google search gave me... I've got the right one now. I'm trying to make myself get up and go fix it now, but I may just wait until tomorrow when I install the amp.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'd still double check the radio wiring. If the door wiring is indeed correct - if I understand that your wires are crossed? Perhaps it's wrong from the HU.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd still double check the radio wiring.
I have. It's good. I bought the truck with the radio already in it. It still had stock speakers, and they sounded fine, no phasing issues. I had already taken the radio out to add a back-up camera, added the micro switch to fake the parking brake double tap, and just the other night I had to replace the Pioneer 30 pin iPhone connector since it finally bit the dust.

Everything would have went fine today had I came here first instead of looking at google... damn google.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why not just hook it up to a ground point ? Instead of to a switch and then to a ground point. With my last vehicle I skipped what they told me a went straight to a ground point, had Zero issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Because it won't work like that with this Pioneer. The signal has to be on-off-on, the micro switch does it automatically as soon as the radio turns on. The person that had it before me just used a regular SPST toggle switch, I had to get rid of that crap. Now there's no toggle switches, no wires, and I can play videos and surf the web.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts