Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys I need some help, my front driveshaft is wet with fluid and dripping a bit, looks like it is coming from the rear of the driveshaft, what do I need to replace? anyone done it or have a how to, I'm an experianced mechanic but new to 4x4s. looks like maybe the rubber gasket that is clamped around the rear of the driveshaft, not sure. thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Pics?

If it looks like this then it need to be replaced. Simple job. 4 bolts at the flange then remove at u joint.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW, no it doesnt look anything like that, looks like transmision fluid, and its runing the whole lenth of the front driveshaft and appears to be coming from the rear.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here are a couple of pics, nothing appears to be coming out of the front diff. looks like it's coming from the rear, but is wet all the way up.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Take the shaft off and inspect the seals, if it is leaking out of the transfer case you should be able to tell, if its not the front seal on t case, maybe a leak in the engine compartment?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Looks like tranny fluid to me, Check the transmission pan gasket and servo cover seals.

My trans pan gasket went and the driveshaft looked just like that, so I would focus on the transmission pan.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, maybe I found the culprit, nothing looked really obvious but after some checking around I was able to tighten 2 of my transmission pan bolts with just my fingers, so I went back and snugged them all up. maybe that was it, there was noticeable fluid on the bottom of several bolts, and a couple of more were a bit loose, not sure why, the pan has never been off, I only have 33,000 miles on her.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah, I got all that, I've built several motors and a couple of trannys, seen way to many people split gaskets or use crazy amounts of silicone as well, I checked the fluid before I left work and after I got home. not low yet, but on the low side of in the proper area when hot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder if this tranny bolt looseness isn't becoming more common on our trucks causing either wicking around the pan gasket or leaking. I say this cause I bought my 2007 Canyon I5 new and only have 36,000 miles on it and just had the pan gasket and filter replaced due to noticing dampness around the front bolts on the pan. The GM mechanic didn't say if the bolts were loose or not but that it was coming from around the front bolts and seeping back. And recently someone else was posting pictures of the same thing in the same place. My mechanic said the replacement gasket is a better sealing gasket then the original factory one. So yawl might want to take a look under there even if no dripping.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Hey Rich, where in the service manual is the vent tube info for the diffs, transfer case & transmission?

I'm looking at doing the remote vent mod from purplecranium but wasn't sure if we had all 4 on our trucks or not.
Andy,

Yeah, all four have vent tubes. Refer to the following sections for "Vent Hose Replacement":

"Front Drive Axle"

"Transfer Case"

"Auto Transmission - Repair Instructions - On Vehicle"

"Rear Drive Axle"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts