Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive only had my 'rado for about 6 months now, and its got dozens of paint chips and scratches. i picked up a small dublicolor brush/pen and for whatever reason even though it says VICTORY RED on the side, it always ends up being a few shades darker than the rest of the vehicle. any way to avoid getting more paint chips n' scratches? (the main problem is my tailgate, it has some huge chips/scratches, my bed is fine since i got a rubber bedmat for it though:D )

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, I think mine got a few chips just on the trip home from the stealership. They definately went as thin as possible on these trucks, that's for sure. Guess they wanted their paint to match their sheet metal - THIN!

Just smack the side of a '67 Chevy truck and you'll see how far they've come.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Man my truck is terrible! theres at least 50 lil chips all over my truck now, i dont get how rocks kick up so easily and scratch it up!?? I have Touch up paint but it never works, it always sticks for awhile and then it pops or sumthin right where the chip is, but around the chip the paint stays...Hmmm

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I think it's due to new EPA regulations for automotive manufacturers. Most new vehicles are having the same problems from what I've heard. I've seen the same complaints on Honda forums, and others.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
make sure when applying scratch/chip paint it is thoroughly clean and wiped with alcohol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think part of the reason the color doesn't quite match on the touch-up paint, is that red is a bit of a bitch color to work with, it often takes a few coats w/ a primer to get it to match right. (when i put the first dab of paintonto a chip the paint matches perfectly, but soon as i brush it over the rest, it suddenly seems to turn a darker shade n' doesn't match at all, lol...maybe i just need more coats or a proper primer undercoat when i patch these spots up)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same with my orange...you can see where some dumbass at the dealership "fixed" a few rock chips because there's neat-o-riffic little squares of bright-ass sunburst-orange paint on my fender. :roll:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I just scraped against something while offroading and now I've got some nice scratches on the side. I'm hoping I can buff them and apply a little paint when it warms up.

Problem I have with touch up paint is getting the texture to match. It always looks like there is extra - kinda like a mole on my truck or something. Any suggestions for getting the paint thickness closer?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I just scraped against something while offroading and now I've got some nice scratches on the side. I'm hoping I can buff them and apply a little paint when it warms up.

Problem I have with touch up paint is getting the texture to match. It always looks like there is extra - kinda like a mole on my truck or something. Any suggestions for getting the paint thickness closer?
Yep, have that body panel removed, sanded down, prepped, and painted over :D

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Oy... It's the pass. door and most of the pass. pickup box including the fender flare.

Oh well. Fuck it. It's a 4x4 truck. :D

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Same with my orange...you can see where some dumbass at the dealership "fixed" a few rock chips because there's neat-o-riffic little squares of bright-ass sunburst-orange paint on my fender. :roll:
Did they charge you extra for those??? :eek2:

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
that damn victory red...(although i love it) i believe is an organic paint(no metallic or some shit...thats y it dont cover well

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will give the trucks body/paint some credit though, we had a massive hailstorm last week, n' even though we drove the same route at the same time, his Ranger has around 9 dents, ranging in size from small to large, n' my 'rado has 2 tiny ones:D

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
^^Thin metal is flexible. :lol:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
gm went cheap on the clear
gm went cheap with everything. i can't stand washing the truck now. i find more and more scratches and nick everywhere. :dawg:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Dark Green Metallic, and guess what! The touch up for it is discontinued. GM recommends Medium Green Metalic which is noticably lighter. Oh, and I just found a horrible rust spot under a chip on the roof. DAMN GM!!!!:mad3:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
think im gonna use the roll-on bed liner to do the lower portion of the truck, so it dosent get scratched when i drag it through the woods.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
there is a company called lamin-x. they specialize in a material that is put onto a car like window tint except it is totally clear. (you can also get smoked,etc..) my friend is a vendor and he has the whole front end, hood,mirrors, and tail and headlights done with the material. its amazing stuff. im ordering some to smoke my tail lights right now. if ur interested i'll see what he can do for you. hes usually pretty good about getting friends stuff for cheap.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts