Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07, 4wd, 3.7 standard cab. 96,000 miles. Runs good except for a gas gauge problem I posted about, probably the level sensor. Yesterday I jacked up the front just out of curiosity to see if the front wheel bearings felt ok. The drivers side was all good, wheel rolled good and no side ways movement, the passenger side rolled nice but a tiny bit of sideways movement , not much but enough to feel it. After looking at Youtube it doesn't look like there is a wheel bearing like a 2wd drive has to tighten. Never thought about that before. Is there anything to tighten or is the hub bad and need replacement?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only thing you can tighten or check would be the 4 bolts that hold the bearing to the knuckle or the axle nut. I doubt that they are loose. More information about your truck would be helpful . Such as a history of front suspension components that have or haven't been replaced. It could be in addition to a failing bearing , outer and inner tie rods, ball joints, or worn insulators on the steering rack. You need to do an inspection of that front end or have a pro do it for you before throwing money around on a guess .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing you can tighten or check would be the 4 bolts that hold the bearing to the knuckle or the axle nut. I doubt that they are loose. More information about your truck would be helpful . Such as a history of front suspension components that have or haven't been replaced. It could be in addition to a failing bearing , outer and inner tie rods, ball joints, or worn insulators on the steering rack. You need to do an inspection of that front end or have a pro do it for you before throwing money around on a guess .
It's all stock. I'm taking it in to Goodyear next Friday to have the tires rotated and will have the guy check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Grabbing the tires at 3:00 and 6:00 will allow you to feel "play" in all of the front end components. If you want to isolate just the hub bearings, you grab the tires at 12:00 and 6:00 That's the way to see if hub bearings are worn out.
Also, it's be quite a ling time since I've owned a vehicle that actually had removable bearings with a nut you could tighten if there was play in the front bearings. Probably haven't made any since the early 90's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grabbing the tires at 3:00 and 6:00 will allow you to feel "play" in all of the front end components. If you want to isolate just the hub bearings, you grab the tires at 12:00 and 6:00 That's the way to see if hub bearings are worn out.
Also, it's be quite a ling time since I've owned a vehicle that actually had removable bearings with a nut you could tighten if there was play in the front bearings. Probably haven't made any since the early 90's.
THAT is great information, thanks brother. I will check that out tommorow and report

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked it out and could not get ANY movement at 12 and 6 and only like I said before just a slight movement at 3 and 9. I know you said 3 and 6 but that seemed awkward. So I feel better that the hub is ok and maybe just some wear in the rubber components but it doesn't wobble or steer funny so I won't worry about it. Thanks Oldguy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Probably tie rod ends - inner or outer. An alignment check might be worth your while since this effects toe-in and can accelerate wear on your tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts