Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’ve sniffed around a fair amount for anyone talking about this particular subject, but can’t find much of consequence. Doesn’t mean it’s not there, I’m pretty bad at searching boards, but I can’t find much just the same.

I have a 2012 5.3L extended cab 4WD Z71 with 4.10s that I absolutely love, it’s cool and fast and fun and great at camping, light 4-wheeling, whatever I ask of it. It has Suspension Maxx 2 1/2” front leveling keys and 1” rear shackles (level always looks nose-high to me). I suspect as a result of the front lift increasing the A-Arm angle, my front track is noticeably narrower than the rear. I don’t think it affects anything, it just… bothers me. I think like a 1/2” wheel spacer would make it look factory, but I’m not really willing to run spacers, particularly on the front.

Does anyone know of like aftermarket A-Arms or something that would rectify this in a safer, more substantial way? Thanks in advance.

rear
front
As good a shot as I could get to illustrate what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, it probably does affect something, that being minor rubbing on the swaybar at full lock. I’m sure that’ll be worse when I bump up to 275 or 285/65r18s with my next set of tires.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Front suspension drop aka lift kit will help with all your angles especially CV joint angles and get you back to factory alignment specs but to have taller spindles you need less offset/ more backspace wheels to clear them. No real fix in your situation.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
What’s different about the H3 parts that would improve the situation? And I assume I’d need stuff from a V8 H3, because said stuff is probably beefier than I5 versions?
Here is a thread that discusses the topic. You’ll gain width in the front from the longer control arms which is why I thought it could be applicable to your situation.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Doesn't the V8 355 run a wider rear axle? That is likely most of the difference you are seeing. Mine also appears wider in the rear than the front but I have never let it bother me. I know the V8 trucks run a larger rear differential (GM 10 bolt) than the I-4 and I-5 trucks. I think I also remember reading that the axle is wider as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't the V8 355 run a wider rear axle? That is likely most of the difference you are seeing. Mine also appears wider in the rear than the front but I have never let it bother me. I know the V8 trucks run a larger rear differential (GM 10 bolt) than the I-4 and I-5 trucks. I think I also remember reading that the axle is wider as well.
Maybe they do, and the difference is slight (if I had aftermarket wheels with a little less backspace, I bet you couldn’t even tell without measuring), but it really bothers me, haha! I know it’s a bigger rear axle, the way I understand it is it’s a narrowed 1/2-ton axle with drums. I wonder if anyone would chime in that knows for sure, and if so exactly how much wider? If it’s like an inch, the H3 frontend stuff might be just what the doctor ordered. Apparently, the H3 stuff is 2 1/2” wider, which seems like too much, but maybe not if the rear is already wider before the lift.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
get a pair of steel spacers made, you won't break them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts