Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems as if there has been questions of the strength of a wheel that has been bored, well I've had some real world testing done and have come to the conclusion that anyone that doubts the integrity of the rim post boring is flat wrong.
I was involved in an accident 2 1/2 months ago where I was hit on the right rear tire causing the tire to blow out, the rim lip to break off, the rear end to get ripped out if the truck and the truck flipped onto the left side. And the silverado rims I bored in my garage with a diablo bit on a plywood table without even removing the tires? Well the one that was hit stayed bolted onto
the axle without a trace of lug damage. The truck was totaled. I'll see I I can upload some pictures as proof and put to rest the question of if boring at home is an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn man that's crazy
Hope ur alright

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks t-bone, an appropriate name for this situation. Lol
Was a wild ride, luckily we walked away. My wife's shoulder and hip are torn up and is still having plenty if problems, I've got two hurtin knees, a sore shoulder and neck and back issues since.
The seat belts held us in tight and thank God her window was closed or she could have been maimed.
Guys PLEASE always wear your seat belts and don't be impatient, a few minutes won't make a difference in your lifetime, but a few seconds can change it forever.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Funny you mention the window being up.
My ex wife is a paramamedic. People are comfy in their vehicles. I never thought much of it, but when she'd see people with their feet up on the dash, she said what happens when those people are in an accident. They just fold in half. Not a pleasant though. I don't let passengers put their feet on my dash. First, that's not where feet belong but second, I don't want you to fold in half.

I'm not sure if your saying wheels are strong or week. But either way, looks like a sucky accident. I was in a roll over years back, it's not pleasant and that brings back memories. Sounds like it was a rough ride for you two, but not as bad as it could have been.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Glad to hear that you and your wife survived a wreck like that. And thanks for posting as I have bored wheels. Makes me feel that much safer in a 355 :salute:

As far as seatbelts, I used to never wear mine. My gf always asked me to but I always just figured it's my choice. A few months ago I got pulled for not wearing it and got a ticket. After that, I didn't feel like paying a ticket for something that takes 2 seconds to click on and could save my life. Been wearing it all the time ever since said ticket was issued. Even had to remind the gf to buckle up a time or two since then.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Glad to hear that you and your wife survived a wreck like that. And thanks for posting as I have bored wheels. Makes me feel that much safer in a 355 :salute:

As far as seatbelts, I used to never wear mine. My gf always asked me to but I always just figured it's my choice. A few months ago I got pulled for not wearing it and got a ticket. After that, I didn't feel like paying a ticket for something that takes 2 seconds to click on and could save my life. Been wearing it all the time ever since said ticket was issued. Even had to remind the gf to buckle up a time or two since then.
My friends hate it but if you don't wanna wear a seatbelt in my truck you can walk lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts
I use to be the world's worst for not wearing mine, until my oldest started driving and he won't even crank his truck up unless everyone is buckled, so that was cue to start wearing mine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am glad you're alright!! Wow. You getting it fixed up or are you gonna get a new truck? Also if you get a new one you going to part this one out or is the junk yard going to take it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every person in the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver, NEVER let anyone in your vehicle remain unbuckled, even the rear passengers. I don't put it in drive unless all are buckled in. You don't want to live everyday wishing you or your passenger were buckled in.
First lesson for new drivers? No seat belt, no keys.
Truck was totaled, even the cab was bent up.
The insurance co. Took the car and Copart now owns it, most likely for parts, it only had 66,000 on it and I kept it super clean. The insurance adjuster called me and was sorry he had to total it, because it as a really nice well cared for truck. I picked up a 2007 Envoy with only 32,000 miles and so far I'm very happy with it.
Thanks guys for all the well wishes.
In the immortal words of John Milner;
"Driving is serious business" (American Graffiti)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts