Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Wheel tire lift question.

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  08Canyon 
#1 ·
I have a 05 LS crew cab. I'm gonna put fabtech 3" lift with 2-3" body lift with 17x8 and 4.5 BS wheels. Does anyone know what the biggest size tires that will fit without rubbing, cutting or trimming?

#7 ·
This is all the Motivation I need to lift my 2wd!!!!!

#10 ·
You will be better off for sure, but Your biggest challenge will still be the 12.5" width. That's a lot of meat.

Could hit the swaybar, could hit the body mount. Wheel spacers and body mount chopping may still come into play. Lots of guys here run the CST 5" with 33's, see if you can find a build thread for someone with 12.5's and see what they had to do.

#16 · (Edited)
Is it just me that is confused?

You don't need spacers, but you do? Tire size should not matter, right? Isn't it that the spindle is larger than a 15" diameter wheel will clear?

I would not recommend and 11.5, and especially a 12.5" tire on a 7" wheel. A Z85 wheel is only 6.5" wide.

One of my most common recommendations for tire/wheel combinations is to go to the tire manufacturer website. Find the tire you want to purchase then check the allowable wheel specification for the size tire you are after. Then you will know it's the right size, and the wear will be adequate, not premature.

#19 ·
CST doesn't recommend a 15" wheel, but if you go with a low enough backspace, it will push the wheel far enough out that it will clear the spindle. I have some pics on here some where of my truck with stock z85 wheels and tires on it with the lift spindles, they just cleared the spindle by like 1/2" , but the bulge of the tire past the lip of the wheel had it maybe about the same or even less from the upper balljoint.
Again to re-emphasize what others have said the stock z85 wheels are only 6.5" wide and that is far to narrow of a wheel to put any larger tire on. BFG used ot make a 33x9.50x15, but they no longer offer it, it might have been ok on the stock wheels, but I guess we'll never know now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.