Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Why would you want to run a 10'' wide tire? That will stick out incredibly with 3.5'' BS and weight considerably more than a narrower wheel. Also, how wide of a tire are you planning on running? Check the tire specifications, they have recommended rim widths.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
^^^ That!! Look at my sig pic, 32x11.50x15, 15x8 wheel 3.75 backspace. If I could do it again, I would get the wheel with a a 4 or 4.5 inch backspace. Just because my 11.5 inch tires stick out so far. Not bad far, but further than I anticipated. It looks and works fine, and I am pleased, but I think a deeper backspace would have served me better in the long run, especially if I go bigger.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
DigEm - do you have a lift, or do the tires rub? I think this is what OP wanted to know...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Also OP, your factory tires are 30.6x10.4 mounted on 7" wide wheels with around 5" of backspace.
Tires you are asking about are about a stock replacement. Just putting them on the wrong wheels.

If you are in the market to purchase wheels. 4.5" wide on an 8" wheel should be about perfect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess everyone has different taste. Below is a pic of an old truck of mine.

Was just looking to see if I need any lift to clear the mentioned wheel and tire combo.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
To be honest, I do not know if you will need a lift. The question is a result of the tire being out so far that the interference point MAY be the bumper/valance at the closest contact point of the tire.

On the right side for example, turn to the left and witness where the outer edge of the tire sweeps past the bumper. By pushing the tire outward like 1.5" you are much closer at that point than in stock form. I guess you could look in stock form....do as suggested above and take note of the clearance. Steer just a little further and imagine the tire 1.5" closer to the bumper. If it looks like it will clear then you should be fine. I do not believe you will have to be concerned with the sway bar or body mount.

You are probably okay since it's stock size tire. If anything, you may need to crank up the torsion bars a little.
No tire manufacture approves the wheel width you are using. You should experience uneven tire wear too.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
DigEm - do you have a lift, or do the tires rub? I think this is what OP wanted to know...
I got that. With a ten inch wheel, and 3.5 backspace and no lift he will rub the inner fender at the rear of the front wheel well, and rub the bumper valence at the front of the fender well. He will rub because of the backspace. What I left out of my post is that I rub with lift, 3 inches, and 1 inch wider, 1 inch taller tires, and a 3.75 backspace. He can run the 15x10 wheel, with a 31x10.50, he just needs more backspace, like 4.5 inches to keep from rubbing or to keep it to the minimum.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thks for clarifying...I figured OP's proposed set-up was going to rub all over the place which isn't good...tires aren't cheap and no matter how careful a person is while driving, you'll forget until the grinding noise reminds you...=8^)

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
I also forgot I had to trim the inner fender liner and the flare at the rear of the front fender, and trim the bumper valence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK. I went with a 15x10 with 4" BS. We will see how it fits. I am hoping a tbar crank and cutting the valance off will let me clear.

Also will it help that I am 4x4 and you are 2wd?

Thanks for all the info.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
I am the same suspension as you, just no front drive system. I think you should be ok, as long as you are cranking some, but we will see. Make sure to get an alignment after you crank the t bars, but let it settle with driving for a couple days first. Also put up some pics after you get them mounted up.

·
Registered
415 Posts
if your like me and you like the mean stance and the wide wheels i have -43mm offset on 15x10s and 31s and my zq8 only has 2.5inch lift in the front and 1.5 inch in the back and i had to trim just a little bit and i have no rub at full turn no where

·
Haters gonna hate
6,576 Posts
OK. I went with a 15x10 with 4" BS. We will see how it fits. I am hoping a tbar crank and cutting the valance off will let me clear.

Also will it help that I am 4x4 and you are 2wd?

Thanks for all the info.
It will really boil down to is how much crank will you need to clear.10 wides on stock hieght trucks are out there

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I mentioned something about that early on and he didn't care enough...He says 31's...assuming it's a 31x10.5 on 10" wheels.

He likes the look and want to know if it would rub, only. It hasn't been mentioned of changing any criteria aside from the backspace.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Why does everyone think a 31/10.50 tire is a bad idea on a ten inch wheel/rim? I ran that set up for 5 years on my 93 ford ranger.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
For me I was curious because if they were 10.5's or larger he's going to rub especially if he has z71 flares it will be much worse. Going straight he might be okay but take a turn and hit a bump and it will not be good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts