Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so just did the Smaxx lift on my truck and picked up 2" wheel spacers. So question is now that I have the spacers can I put pretty much any wheel on providing the bolt pattern matches. I know backspacing was issue without spacers.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If you are going to put on pretty much any wheel you want, just buy the right backspace and don't use the spacer. If you plan to use the 2" spacer though, you need like a 5.5" backspace to tuck before the spacer kicks the wheel out so far.

2" spacers are HUGE!!

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Your stock wheels will stick out 2" with that spacer. If you bought a 4" backspace wheel it would stick out about 3.5". Most of the guys using a spacer on here, not all, but most are using them to get a wheel with a deep backspace out enough to clear larger tires or keep them from rubbing or to clear a suspension lift, or to keep from having to bore a wheel with a smaller than 4" center hole. If you push the wheel out too far you will have other issues like premature ball joint wear, premature hub wear, and too much stress on the lugs. Just my opinion of course, and like 08Canyon said, 2" spacers are huge!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now ya'll got me worried. i like the wide stance. but is 2" that huge?? my buddy has had 2" on his ranger for 2 years and no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
2" isn't that big if you keep the Backspace on the wheel you buy around 4.75 to 5.50 inches. That give you about a 4 to 4.5" inch wider stance than you have now, and keeps the wheel close enough to keep the stress levels down. If you bought a wheel with a 4.5" backspace and then used the two inch spacer, you would have a 2.5" Backspace after the spacer. That pushes the wheel out so far that you change the stresses on the hub in a much greater curve. Think of it like this, you have two concrete blocks and a 8' board to make a bench out of. If you put the blocks at the ends the board flexes in the middle from no support. That is what happens to your truck if you spread the tires and wheels out to far. Move the blocks in a foot and you reduce the flex considerably. Same thing happens if you keep the tire as close as possible, without rubbing, to the hub. Again just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I know everybody has their own opinion about what 'looks good'. I personally think that a tire that sticks half way out looks like it was a mistake. But that's me.

Yes, if you put a wheel out too far you're going to rapidly wear the wheel bearings. It's too much leverage on the hub.
Again, just buy the right wheel. No need to buy the wrong wheel, then add spacers which for one need maintenance (checking torque a few times per year) and are more of a band-aid.

As I mentioned before, purchase a wheel with about 5.5" of backspace.

What truck do you drive, a Z85 or Z71?
A reference point is 4.5" backspace fits flush with Z71 fender flares. I have about 5.2" backspace with 265 tires on 8.5" wide wheel and I stick out beyond my fenders.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Z71 or Z85?

What tire size are you planning to have?

What year is the truck?

4x4 or 2x4?

And for the record, a zero offset is only 4" backspace on a 7" wide wheel. Change wheel width with zero offset and the backspace is different.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
2004 z85 LS ext cab 5cyl 4x4 plan on 32" tires
LOL How wide!

A Z85 with a wheel of around 4" backspace will look like a wide stance. It's sitting outside of the truck 1/2" further than a 4.5" backspace on a Z71 which is near even with the flares.

It will stick out about 1.5" further than mine does.
http://coloradofans.com/forums/members/69977-08canyon-albums-random-picture19391-16x8-5-18mm.html

You'll need up to an 8" wide wheel to run a 265mm tire. An 8" will also accommodate an 11.5" tire. But with 11.5" tire, you're looking to rub something, possibly the bumper or valance because the tire will stick out so far. But at least it will clear the body mount. The more it is tucked in the more likely it will rub the body mount. The more it sticks out, the more likely it is to catch the bumper/valance.

Not as true for a 265mm tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts